Author Topic: nice features to have "request"  (Read 147830 times)

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
Re: nice features to have "request"
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2011, 04:23:14 pm »
The knock code is in the most recent firmware and right now VemsTune is getting  menus and documentation to properly support it. There is also work on a live VE analyzer, the latest release contains an early version.

We have started to hunt down a few bugs and issues with performance as well, log viewer being one of them, and the other being workarounds for bad drivers (ATI chipsets suck) and that will take some code profiling to hunt down properly.

Later this week we're adding more documentation to dialogs.

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2011, 05:08:42 pm »
Doesn't latest VT from January contains necesary dialogs?
I yesterday tried 1.1.88 on the bench. But did not get any knock noises or retards. I feed 2V AC  3....15kHz (sweeping) signals in knock sensors inputs.

Offline Kenny Watson

• BHP: 3
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2011, 12:18:58 am »
I must say - the overall performance and stability of VT, especially the datalog aspect, has improved a lot over the last couple revisions, great work work guys!

I checked out the autotune system and also trued using the tune by statistics feature that has existed for a while (I am one of those ex-megasquirt users who has always used MLV's VE analyze). It's a bit prone to lean things out too much, but admittedly so it MLV. I think I will make the VE targets slightly richer than what I actually want to compensate. No big deal at all. :)

Shame Gints didn't see any knock signals, but i steel feel very optimistic, just the fact that it's being mentioned in the firmware notes is a very good sign that we will have something relatively soon.

The 2 major things I would still like to see added to the datalog view are goos hot keys for zoom in/out on the x axis - either up/down arrow, or ctrl+ up/down arrow or something.

It would also be nice if it scaled the y axis automatically based on the highest value in the log for each field.

It's definitely getting better though!

Offline NOTORIOUS VR

• BHP: 5
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2011, 03:41:53 pm »
Have added a request to implement firmware and hardware support for the GM ECA sensor (flex fuel) for live E85 adjustments:

http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=GenBoard%2FUnderDevelopment%2FFirmWare

I think it would be beneficial, and since the Anytrim code is already in place a proper implementation would be not too far off (software/firmware wise).

Offline GintsK

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2011, 09:22:22 am »
Have added a request to implement firmware and hardware support for the GM ECA sensor (flex fuel) for live E85 adjustments:

http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=GenBoard%2FUnderDevelopment%2FFirmWare

I think it would be beneficial, and since the Anytrim code is already in place a proper implementation would be not too far off (software/firmware wise).
What is necessary for that? IMHO just predefined curve for fueltrim. Something else?
From some signal level you can switch over config with different spark table if you want.

Have you some datasheet of flexfuel sensor?
Gints

Offline Kenny Watson

• BHP: 3
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2011, 07:45:45 am »
You would want a correction for spark advance as well.

What some systems do, is it is dual maps, you tune a gasoline map, then you tun an ethanol map. The EMS then linearly interpolates between the ethanol map and the gasoline map based on the actual ethanol content.

Offline se7ensport

• BHP: 6
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2011, 02:17:57 pm »
Long shot; but how about Android integration via bluetooth so that vemstune can be accessed on the go without the need to carry a laptop.  Recent article on gizmodo.com got my attention http://gizmodo.com/5800436/androids-new-hacker-dream-adk-makes-anything-an-accessory

"Great news for tinkerers (and those who like their toys)—Google's announced what they're calling an "ADK," allowing hardware devs to team up with software wizards to create DIY "open accessories." Arduino-based, the tech will Android-ify anything you want.

Take, for example, Google's Android-connected exercise bike, which pumped heart rate data from the cycle to the phone mid-exercise, or the fun demo of a labyrinth marble game tilt-controlled with an Android tablet. This is a hacker's fantasy—a board that'll integrate an Android device with... whatever they can stick it into. Powerful stuff, and fertile dirt for crazily inventive minds.

The control board's USB only for now, but Bluetooth support is on the way. Essentially, the DIY crowd will now be able to supercharge their projects with Android-powered on-screen info, remote controls, or whatever else they can imagine. There won't be any fees or licenses required to tinker, so we expect some serious creativity to blast out of the ADK—git yet soldering irons ready."

Offline GintsK

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2011, 02:52:35 pm »
You mean two separate things? Hardware for bluetooth and app for Android?
 I am little sceptic about second one. Is it really necessary? Tuning device with no normal size keyboard IMHO is useless for tuning. Road tuning and dyno tuning as well.

Just for datalogging? Yes! I'd like to get some datalogs from distant customers this way.

But anyway even with good app hardware problem stay. It is hard to obtain even simple USB-serial cable in some areas....

Offline se7ensport

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2011, 01:29:10 pm »
The ability to datalog and access live VE auto tuning would work really well for my situation, can't speak for others.  Securing a laptop in fibreglass single skin seat with a 5-point harness is a nightmare, having a small device in pocket or stuck to the dash would improve useability and diagnostics on the go. 

Bluetooth is a nice to have; most new smartphones are now using micro USB connectors so connecting them to a serial post is in therory possible (I've experienced problems myself with usb to serial, so appreciate the view).

Has anyone tried serial to bluetooth on a laptop? devices are out there and getting cheaper.

Edit:  Looks like Seight-v8 has found a possible device on another thread: about £55 delivered and can be powered by 5v: http://www.osoo.co.uk/LM_Technologies_3Mbps_100_Meter_Mini_RS232_Bluetooth_Serial_Adaptor%28204389%29.aspx

Very temped to give it a go for laptop use, getting the wires firmly tucked away would be a nice improvement.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 01:40:47 pm by se7ensport »

Offline se7ensport

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2011, 05:02:36 pm »
Just bought one, I'll let you all know in a couple of days if it does the job!

Offline Sprocket

• BHP: 29
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2011, 01:01:43 am »
warm up additional ignition advance

For example

Two refference points for additional warm up ignition advance

Cold advance added
Max temp for cold advance

(the temperature at which additional ignition advance starts to ramp down from the desired value, to a fixed zero additional advance at a fixed 70c warm temp)

And two points for scaling

Scaler for RPM> RPM value at which the additional warm up advance reaches zero.
Scaler for KPA> KPA value at which the aditional warm up advance reaches zero. (throttle position for alpha N)

(The additional advance is reduced to zero at the two configurable RPM and KPA points)

This has a few benefits, but the two that spring to mind are faster warm up due to the hotter cylinder temps and increasing cold idle speed.

Offline DevInAz

• BHP: 7
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2011, 08:07:45 am »
Any chance a new software for Android is in the works? Having a dash mounted Touchpad or IPad for gauges or whatever would be great.

Offline billman

• BHP: 2
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2012, 09:33:30 am »
I don't know if the developers get these stuff we write here but a nice feature would be selective cylinder cut off for fuel economy.

i.e. when it is activated 2 cylinder will be cutted off for fuel economy reasons. This system is easy to implement and is not only found in bit V8 engines but also in small ones like the new VW Polo blue GT that is 1.4 liter I4. when the system is on it shuts off cylinder 2 and 3.

It should work within:

A certain (adjustable) RPM range i.e. from 1200-3000 RPM
certain MAP range i.e. from 40-80KPA
Wheelspeed signal
gives the possibility of cylinder selection or certain cylinder pattern.

Offline MWfire

• BHP: 35
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2012, 02:17:52 pm »
I don't know if the developers get these stuff we write here but a nice feature would be selective cylinder cut off for fuel economy.

i.e. when it is activated 2 cylinder will be cutted off for fuel economy reasons. This system is easy to implement and is not only found in bit V8 engines but also in small ones like the new VW Polo blue GT that is 1.4 liter I4. when the system is on it shuts off cylinder 2 and 3.

It should work within:

A certain (adjustable) RPM range i.e. from 1200-3000 RPM
certain MAP range i.e. from 40-80KPA
Wheelspeed signal
gives the possibility of cylinder selection or certain cylinder pattern.

Wou can do that with config switch. I did that and i was very disappointment with fuel savings. What i find, mechanical losses are very big i crusing area, not thermal.

Offline GintsK

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2012, 04:43:20 pm »
Also disabling do not remove pumping loses. I remember Mercedes V12 used something what lock valve operation for those cylinders with purpose to eliminate pumping looses.