Author Topic: new firmware releases  (Read 24862 times)

Offline Seight-v8

• BHP: 6
    • Members Page - Scott Richmond
new firmware releases
« on: January 30, 2010, 04:07:55 pm »
hello all,

Firmware releases seem to be getting faster, but how do we find out what has been changed/updated....is anyone keeping track offically of what is happening with firmware.

Would be nice to have a changelog with firmware maybe..

It looks like we have to wait till someone finds out, then there's a new release...

Anything to make life easier...must be good.

cheers

scott
Engine:Rover V8 4600cc
Vems Firmware:V1.2.38, GPS, SDcard, LCD & Dual lambdas, Wasted spark, 36-1 trigger, Cam Sync & Bluetooth serial.

http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=MembersPage%2FScottRichmond

Offline Ascona 400

• BHP: 2
Re: new firmware releases
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 09:25:19 pm »

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 09:44:40 pm »
All the recent firmwares require VemsTune and they are downloadable using the integrated firmware web tool.

Do note that the bleeding edge is for testing, and may or may not be downloadable within VemsTune before it's deemed ready for testing by a larger crowd.

Offline Jamo

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 09:13:03 am »
I find that webpage is not updated very quickly and does not have good details of the firmware releases. Check the changelog, no details in there for instance since version 1.1.62 for all release above this in the text file of firmware zip.

1.1.66 is out on the web firmware tool but only mention of it is on a page refering to the new 6 speed gear boost DC

Once the documentation is sorted out I think VEMS would hit a greater audience
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 08:10:55 pm by Jamo »

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 05:53:05 am »
I repeat what jrussel said in another thread .
Wait for a month or two for the official release. The current (1.1.6x) releases are for development and testing, not meant for widespread use.

There is no stable firmware until a lot of things have been tested. A lot of things are happning right now and are not fully tested. Do NOT assume anything.

Offline AVP

• BHP: 11
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 03:37:46 pm »
is this 1-2 months certain though? because tuners have been sending out VEMS ECUs with these developmental firmwares as 'new stable releases' and very few mention that they are not actually official.

Im still on 1.1.27beta6 for that reason only, because the developers say these are NOT official.

hopefully the official version will be as stable as the 1.1.27 is

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 04:05:58 pm »
1.1.62 is supposed to be the official release according to Marcell.
Anything after that I´d just wait, it´s not like people haven´t driven for years on older stuff without problems.

Offline AVP

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 04:17:43 pm »
excactly but i would presume that if there is a definite 1.1.6x official release, there wouldnt be releases after that coming out immediatelly. That really means that even 1.1.62 is not working adequatelly.

While on the other hand 1.1.27 does not have many features on one hand, but it does work perfectly on many different cars.Thats what i call official. Introducing new features is one thing, while making one release working without bugs is more important.

1.1.27 is bug free and works absolutely fine for me.I will only change when the 1.1.6x is official.

Offline Jamo

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 06:49:48 am »
But have you tried a 1.1.6x release though?

I was running 1.1.27 for tuning and the car runs better on 1.1.63 and now 1.1.65 than it did on 1.1.27 with the extra compensation routines built in

Offline AVP

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 03:26:34 pm »
no i havent, and reason is that i have absolutely no problems with 1.1.27. I dont like to 'try' 1.1.6x versions esp. when i read about bugs and glitches on the forum about the versions and esp. when every 20 days or so there is a new vemstune version trial coming out. that tells me that there are areas on the firmware still not working right hence can be disastrous.

You probably didnt use 1.1.27 enough to appreciate it.I see that the new versions have lots of new features, but the car can be tuned and run properly and safely even without them. Once VEMS comes with an official new one, ill change it

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 03:29:44 pm »
1.1.6x is better than anything we had, but because the development cycle is faster than ever before it's very difficult to support users that want to try these firmwares. If you don't understand what I'm saying then I give up trying..

We are adding features, simplifying existing ones  and testing them all. There will be a more stable baseline soon, but can't say when.

Offline AVP

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 03:52:19 pm »
when that more stable version is ready, then i will try it.

You see, you as developers are doing many fast steps as you say, but VEMS users are not always spending their time in the car testing the new features. Most of them just want a properly running, safe tune for their engine. Tuners who will use VEMS will use a firmware that they are happy with and leave it as that.You think the customer will be aware or know if you have released 50 new firmwares from when their car was tuned? No one will bother, unless the version of their tune has bugs that can cause problems with running.

So all im saying, is once you have a stable 1.1.6x version, as stable as the 1.1.27 was where VEMS.hu was sending the ECUs out with, then it will be better.

What firmware is VEMS shop sending the ECU out with at this point?

Offline Jamo

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 05:21:09 pm »
Ah but what your talking about is not firmware stability but vemstune stability.

Had no problems with the firmware what so ever, only the early versions of vemstune the 8th Jan release has been solid and given no problems what so ever in connection or crashing.

Offline AVP

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 05:35:36 pm »
well im talking about both.
can you use 1.1.6x on megatune? No. so everything is involved.

I have heard that boost control is not accurate still on the latest 1.1.6x versions. I dont fancy using manual or external boost controllers for that, and currently i have that nicely controlled on the 1.1.27.

I'll just wait a while.. no harm done. Besides, since development is that fast, once im happy with all the latest innovations from the latest versions, i may not even be interested for anything new for a long time.

By the way, latest vemstune i have downloaded only gives 1.1.63 versions to try out. How can i take advantage of 1.1.66 versions that are out? there is no base map included.I have a setup already to try on vemstune but it is on 1.1.61 version.I have downloaded firmwares all the way to 1.1.67. How can i change to the latest one, and play around with the settings there?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 05:52:17 pm by AVP »

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 04:02:16 pm »
You can already download, upgrade, play around with and test 1.1.67 with VemsTune.
If you just want to play with it on the desktop you require a vemscfg or vemslog.
A default firmware config will not be always be available.