Author Topic: Yamaha R6 COP problem - no ignition outputs only after full throttle run  (Read 21810 times)

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
How did you come to a value on the coil charge time?  You might need to increase the coil charge a little or even a lot.
Also running on fouled plugs can cause all manner of problems, we were doing a track car and couldn't get the CO right at all, put in new plugs, got the tuning spot-on...
After a quick grit blast the old plugs went back in and ran faultlessly again.

Offline Bubba Zanetti

• BHP: 2
How did you come to a value on the coil charge time?  You might need to increase the coil charge a little or even a lot.
Also running on fouled plugs can cause all manner of problems, we were doing a track car and couldn't get the CO right at all, put in new plugs, got the tuning spot-on...
After a quick grit blast the old plugs went back in and ran faultlessly again.

For now, configuration is not completely done - it is still very "raw", but at least engine starts right now each time, every time without problems - and that was impossible with Denso plugs...

We are unfortunately many months behind schedule, and right now our car needs lot of testing in extremely short time - next  FS 2010 event is starting in July 15th @ Silverstone, and that's only one month away  :-\.

Our complete ignition system is right now really, how should I say, exotic, but at least it works flawlessly to 16 krpm  ;)

- 24-1 toothed wheel (laser cut from 3mmm steel plate, tooth shape & depth exactly as std 4-tooth R6 wheel, missing tooth part was made slightly shallower and with smooth edges , hopefuly to lessen effect of large missing tooth amplitude with VR conditioning circuit ),
- Yamaha R6 VR sensor,
- Ford Zetec ignition coil (this is strange choice, but as I didn't had suitable inductive COP's, this was only wasted spark coil that I had in the moment).

As ignition dwell - it's not adjusted yet - it's around 3ms, but I think we could get with 2.5ms, we should see how it will perform on testing track next week.

Before, we also thought that problems could be also caused by too short dwell - and with Denso plugs we tried  up to the 4.5ms dwell but with no effect.

Offline Sprocket

• BHP: 29
^^ That looks like it could be real fun :)

Offline Bubba Zanetti

Offline Sprocket

• BHP: 29
I WANT ONE ;D

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Whats the score with spectators at Silverstone for the Formula Student events?  I might see if I can sneak an afternoon off work and get over to see it.

Offline Bubba Zanetti

Whats the score with spectators at Silverstone for the Formula Student events?  I might see if I can sneak an afternoon off work and get over to see it.

Sorry for late reply: yes, the spectators can come and take a look, free of charge, this is C/P from Formula Student rules:

Spectators:

The event will be open to the public, free of charge, on Saturday 17 - Sunday 18 July. Entrance to the event will be signposted from the main entrance and there will be a designated car park (free) for spectators. As well as watching the cars undergo a series of dynamic tests, including Acceleration, Sprint, Skid-pan and the Endurance event, you will be able to look around the paddock and see the teams in the garages. There is no need to register in advance. Teams are welcome to bring guests on Thursday 15 and Friday 16 July but they will not be issued with a badge and do not need to register or pay.

If you've never been on Formula Student event, I encourage you to come and take a look -  you could be really,really  amazed about many hi-tech details, great amount of creativity (and sometimes great amount of money as well) that is included in making these little racing cars...all judges are from F1 world (or some racing related companies)...hey, some judges are even coming to Silverstone driving its own personal custom kit cars  :)

Feel free to visit us at paddock, and to take a look at our car (or the pieces that will left from next  Friday skidpad circuit testing :-) we'll be glad to offer you some beer  ;D

So here are the details:

- team number is 75,
- name of university: "University of Rijeka",
- and our car number is 055.

http://www.formulastudent.com/events/FS2010/teams.aspx
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:41:33 pm by Bubba Zanetti »