Author Topic: Fuel Pump not trigering  (Read 15894 times)

Offline Olds442FI

• BHP: 1
  • Project in the works
Re: Fuel Pump not trigering
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 11:39:45 am »
Ill actually post a few of the car right now. As far as the engine bay i still need to take a few pics but right now it looks like spaghetti! I haven't re harnessed anything yet figuring i would may need to trace something. so far everything seems correct so i may start to wrap things up and get those shots as well. As far as the work go's, im going to try the ignition channel again tonight. If that doesnt work then it will be a switch for me :).
Get in, sit down, buckle up, hold on, and SHUT UP!

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 10:44:55 pm »
Well, so far i had it just hooked up and when the pump failed to go on or even do a prime pulse i disconnected it from the ECU and grounded the relay end to see if i could force the pump on and that works just fine. I have pretty much done all of the tests on both channel 5 and 7 while set on p259 and i simply get no response at all.

This doesn't sound right.

Make a wire that you ground in the chassis near the ECU, strip the other end a few millimeters and use it to apply ground at the pin in the EC36 connector which goes to the ground pin of the relay solenoid. The ECU is of course disconnected during this procedure.
If you can't get the fuel pump relay to activate with this simple test, then your wiring is way off. You can test pretty much all of the basic functions of the ECU with a simple ground wire test, by touching the receptacle in the connector. Remember to put back the white receptacle locking plate when you're done.

Needless to say, be careful and don't short to ground either of  the +12V feed to the ECU (pin 25) or the flyback wire for the injectors (pin 23), they're fused if you have done your job correctly so you should just pop the fuse if you accidentally do that.

Offline Olds442FI

• Project in the works
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 12:34:44 am »
I am assuming that through this test you are saying to have the harness disconnected and simulate the grounds that the ecu would create to simulate the completion of the circuit. i did do this but not necessarily through the connector of the harness itself but rather by cutting the wire and grounding it out to the chassis directly. I don't think its at the connector of the pin either because at this point i have tried several pin locations and added new connectors to other pin locations and still nothing on those. Right now just to get into the tuning stage  i ran a switched line to the chassis just to get by but its like the ECU just isnt giving the command to close the circuit. is their any safety setting that i may have set wrong that would cause the ECU to say "hey! we shouldn't be pumping Fuel right now!"?

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 07:25:43 am »
i did do this but not necessarily through the connector of the harness itself but rather by cutting the wire and grounding it out to the chassis directly.
You are doing what? No cutting involved here. You want to test by grounding the crimped receptacle as it is seated in the Econoseal connector.

Indeed you are supposed to do the test I outlined with the ECU disconnected and the white safety tabs removed from the connectors.  Do it exactly as I say and report back.

Do note: With the ignition on and a multimeter at hand you MUST measure +12V battery voltage on the the pin in the connector that goes to the ground side of the solenoid for the fuel pump relay. If you don't have battery voltage here you will never be able to power anything by grounding it.  The same goes for anything that is controlled through the ground path provided by the ECU (except for the stepper outputs, but that's another story).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 07:28:33 am by mattias »

Offline Olds442FI

• Project in the works
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 10:17:28 pm »
ok, so i tested it at the crimped receptical as it is seated in the econoseal connector. I read 12.24 volts as i figured it would. I put the cover back on and reconnected it to the ECU. I set it to channel 5 and still nothing. The i inverted it and still nothing. then i switched it to channel 7 and followed the same procedure. nothing seems to work. I even tried disabling it completely and setting those pins up as an electric fan on both channel 5 and 7 and that didn't even work. The ECU just seems incapable of controlling  outside accessories. so whats next? im at a loss here. By the way, when the car is running it still shows RPM in megatune so i assume that rules out a blown p259 chip.

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 07:17:59 pm »
Do you have a spare IGBT output to try out?

Offline Olds442FI

• Project in the works
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 10:20:30 pm »
yeah, surprisingly that isn't working either. Something, somewhere along the line, the ECU just isn't giving the command. I doubt that 3 pins on the p259 chip and an IGBT pin are dead. And now we know the wiring is correct as well. So, im thinking, if i am using an IGBT or a p259 channel does it still use the same ground, or is does it use a different primary ground from the harness? Maybe somehow one of my grounds isn't making contact either in the Econoseal connector or somehow in on the board itself?  other than that the only thing i can think of is the firmware? Does this happen often with 1.0.73 

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2010, 12:02:04 pm »
As far as I know 1.0.73 had no problems.

Can you activate ANY output on any available remaining output?

Offline Olds442FI

• Project in the works
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2010, 12:33:39 pm »
i have tried 2 pins from the P259 chip and 1 from the IGN.

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2010, 08:02:46 pm »
ok, so i tested it at the crimped receptical as it is seated in the econoseal connector. I read 12.24 volts as i figured it would. I put the cover back on and reconnected it to the ECU
You missed my biggest point of that test. You want to test by grounding the crimped receptacle as it is seated in the Econoseal connector.
It's one thing to measure voltage at the pin, that doesn't mean it's the ground side of the relay or whatever you're trying to ground - it usually is though but in this case we just don't know yet!

Take a wire, connect it to ground at one end,  short the other end to the receptacle in question.

Offline Olds442FI

• Project in the works
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2010, 09:39:12 pm »
i got what your saying. Sorry, i totally misunderstood that one. Well, right now i am facing a bigger problem that could possibility be related i suppose. But in either case if it matters, (and i know you said no cutting involved but it was already so i did) I checked the through voltage between the break in the wire while the ECU was powered up. I connected the the the + of the multimeter to the relay side and the - to the ECU side, when doing this i read in the 1 to 1.2 volt area but no changes. with the ecu off. Unfortunately i have to put this problem on the back burner because the gosh darn thing aint got no spark now!

Offline Olds442FI

• Project in the works
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 02:07:30 am »
Just so everybody know, It was a blown P259 chip that Jay Fixed for me. Thanks Jay! Works great now!