Author Topic: issues with bosch motorsport 3x2?  (Read 4545 times)

Offline fkingsuv

• BHP: 0
issues with bosch motorsport 3x2?
« on: December 20, 2010, 03:49:02 am »
Hello all!

I hit the dyno this past weekend with my 1990 325i BMW. 
We ran into some issues with spark blowout over 1.2bar, tried bringing the gap down, but no change in higher rpm blowout, and idle quality suffered greatly. 

I have seen people make more power with this hardware so im thinking i may have some issues with my configuration.

Here are my settings:

Any thoughts?  Am i doing it wrong?
Thanks!

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: issues with bosch motorsport 3x2?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 08:36:59 am »
I think the newer firmware has boost related dwell increase.
Check the datasheet to see what dwell you can actually run with these http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/pdf/components/ignition_coils/3x2.pdf and fuse the supply accordingly.

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 01:36:00 pm »
I sent you a PM on e30tech on this.

Give using 4.0 ms a try, but I don't think your problem lies there.
You should try BR7ES instead, or just plain B7ES even though the lack of a RFI damping resistor can cause problems depending on the ignition wires.
The 'P' stands for protruding center electrode which makes it easier for the cylinder pressure to put out the spark.

What ignition wires are you running?
It must be clinically clean inside the plug holes and the wires must be dirt free, no oil or crap anywhere.
If the wires are subjected to a lot of heat from the exhaust manifold the insulation wears out quickly and the spark can jump through the insulation where it has dried through.

You should upgrade to the latest firmware, which could be a challenge since you throw away all your MegaTune knowledge, but it's not a big sacrifice - trust me. Use 1.1.85 (the latest), only some idle control enhancements have been found but not yet released (1.1.87).

With more recent firmware you can use "MAP scale" which adds dwell with higher boost, so you can still run 3.0 ms basic dwell, and go up to 4.0 ms at higher boost only.

Offline MWfire

• BHP: 35
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 06:39:16 pm »
i had similar problem when back pressure were to high (problem with cat convertor).

Offline fkingsuv

• BHP: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 01:53:50 am »
Thanks for the replies guys!

I have a fresh set of br7es' on the way, as well as a replacement set of plug wires.
.025" should be enough gap for my needs correct?

The car is running a full 3" with no cats, but we did check for excessive back pressure by disconnecting the exhaust at the dp.  no change.

New firmware and a 4 bar map is in my near future as well. :)