Author Topic: FW upload gone bad  (Read 7057 times)

Offline ranz

• BHP: 6
FW upload gone bad
« on: January 08, 2011, 05:36:11 pm »
Hellow, I'm posting friends problem, he started FW upgrade and the computer failed. Now after computer restart, it does not recognise the ECU, no connection... is there something to do now?
Only thing I found was the topic right here: http://www.vemssupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,209.0.html but it's from 2007 and we do not use megatune anymore.

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
Re: FW upload gone bad
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 08:54:20 pm »
Then booloader mode should solve situation. Put jumper between 2 and 3 pin in serial connector of VEMS and then power up it.
VEMSTUNE should recognize bootloader mode automatically. Then go to firmware upload as usually.

Background info - VT not always works. Then use old well proven bat files method. 

Offline sink

• BHP: 3
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 10:56:17 pm »
Then booloader mode should solve situation. Put jumper between 2 and 3 pin in serial connector of VEMS and then power up it.
VEMSTUNE should recognize bootloader mode automatically. Then go to firmware upload as usually.

Background info - VT not always works. Then use old well proven bat files method. 

Hi, I'm the friend with the problem. I tried something like that but no luck. What I did was - I turned off the ignition, removed the com cabel from the laptop, put a jumper between con's 2&3, turned on ignition for 3...10 seconds (tried several times) then turned off ignition, removed jumper and reconnected the cable. Started VemsTune and it still displayd no ECU connected.

Offline GintsK

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:05:38 am »
Hi, I'm the friend with the problem. I tried something like that but no luck. What I did was - I turned off the ignition, removed the com cabel from the laptop, put a jumper between con's 2&3, turned on ignition for 3...10 seconds (tried several times) then turned off ignition, removed jumper and reconnected the cable. Started VemsTune and it still displayd no ECU connected.
That is mistake. Just remove jumper and connect to the laptop. With ignition still on. And don't panic if VEMSTUNE do not recognize unit. It means you have to try .bat files method.

Offline sink

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 11:37:20 am »
That is mistake. Just remove jumper and connect to the laptop. With ignition still on. And don't panic if VEMSTUNE do not recognize unit. It means you have to try .bat files method.

OK, will try to reconnect the cable with ignition still on, but what is this .bat file method?

Offline GintsK

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 01:05:48 pm »
Pre-Vemstune era each fw package comes with .bat text commands files for fw upgrade.
Post #10
http://www.vemssupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,1421.0.html

Offline sink

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 02:19:30 pm »
Pre-Vemstune era each fw package comes with .bat text commands files for fw upgrade.
Post #10
http://www.vemssupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,1421.0.html

Well, that already sounds like it will work ;D, I'll try this later at night, will notify how it goes  :)

Offline sink

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 10:50:12 pm »
Success, I finally was able to downgrade to FW 1.0.78 ;D Okay, enough jokes :D
It took a few tries but I was able to erase the faulty gone FW and get the ECU back into working order and finally upgrade to FW 1.1.85

Thanks for the help  :)

Offline sink

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 01:55:12 pm »
Hi guys, a problem has risen that I didn't anticipate at the beginning. The messed up FW update removed or rewrote the CLT & MAT sensor patches. So I reinstalled the FW (1.1.85) with the default patches what the program itself gives at first and no improvement. The outside temp was -7C and the CLT showed +40C and MAT was +21C - BUT the car hasn't run for a week now  :-\

Any suggestions which patches should I upload or what values should I use with the 17p curve? The car is with a 3B engine and I'm still using the original sensors  :)

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 03:30:03 pm »
The coolant sensor should be compatible if you use the stock Bosch curve, check the 17 point dialog and pick the default Bosch curve.

If you're using the slow stock Audi PTC sensor for intake temperature, you need to use the flash table as there is no default 17p curve for it. You should use a faster NTC sensor anyway.

http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=VemsAudiAan

AREF 260, with 425 Ohm curve seems best.
CLT: NTC type 1900_256 or 2063_256 is a very good starting point when nonstandard NTC sensor is used with weak 2700 Ohm internall pullup
MAT: PTC type 260_425 is a good starting point when the factory PTC type MAT sensor is used with the default strong 430 Ohm pullup (