Author Topic: Canned trigger settings?  (Read 19138 times)

Offline Karl Buchka

• BHP: 5
Canned trigger settings?
« on: March 20, 2011, 05:13:04 pm »
Is there any one place where people are accumulating and/or confirming stock trigger setups for various engines? VEMSTune has a list of default setups, but most of them seem fairly generic. I know I could contribute at least a couple.

Karl

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: Canned trigger settings?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 07:30:51 pm »
We could put them in a thread here if you're happy to make them public - I can put them on the vems.co.uk site and they'd be downloadable.
PM me!

Offline ZoLtaR

• BHP: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 08:31:55 pm »
That's very good idea to have all "presets" for various cars/engines in one place.

Offline Karl Buchka

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 08:49:12 pm »
Rob, making them public was the main idea.  :)

Since there a lot of different ways to configure the coil and injector outputs, maybe it's worthwhile to just record the primary trigger, secondary trigger, and reference tooth settings, along with which cylinders are referenced in which h[1] entries. I think these are the only setup independent settings for a given engine type. Thoughts on this?

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 09:30:49 pm »
Definitely triggers only, these are the single most important and initially difficult settings to work out.

Offline Karl Buchka

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 02:58:54 am »
Something to get the ball rolling. I'm posting them as a screen-shot for the sake simplicity. Perhaps some kind of text form would be easier to archive?

They're for a Volvo inline 5 cylinder, sequential spark, 60-2/VR crank trigger, single tooth/Hall cam trigger, all sensors and wheels in their stock locations. These settings apply to any non-VVT equipped 20v Volvo 5 cylinder.

Note that the reference tooth array, stated in terms of cylinders, is h[1] = 2 1 3 5 4

Many thanks to mdlimy over on Volvospeed.com for confirming that these settings work.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 10:41:10 am by Karl Buchka »

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 12:08:14 pm »
Karl: Why not start the reference tooth table at 0 ?
Then use first trigger tooth = 6 to get the same 60 deg TDC after the trigger.

For faster sync the "0" tooth should be at the top (rotate the ign output table accordingly)

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 12:30:42 pm »
Can you show this by way of a screen shot of the settings?

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 12:47:32 pm »
Then add cam sync as above .. 
Trigger edge is falling as it is a Hall sensor and preferrable to use that edge. With VR, you _must_ use rising edge.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 12:49:03 pm by mattias »

Offline Karl Buchka

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 02:18:28 pm »
Maybe I've misunderstood how the VEMS wheel decoder functions, but I always assumed the traversal needs to end after the ignition event following the cam sync.

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 03:17:06 pm »
What's relevant is only that the numbers are in order and entered bottom to top. It will sync faster if 0 is at the top, and given that fact the reference tooth table can only look only one way with any particular primary trigger wheel.

Where the cam sync occurs is not really relevant unless it races with primary trigger events, in which case it needs to be manually adjusted or trigger edge changed (falling/rising) to offset it out of trouble.

What you always do is strobe the ignition to see where it's at, and if not near correct then shift the ignition output table for rough adjustments, finer steps are made with small adjustments to primary trigger settings - namely the "first trigger tooth" and "TDC after the trigger".

All this will be easier to comprehend later this year, development is geared towards having VemsTune change the way it presents the tables. The user is forced to input in a table  which cylinder is using what outputs and table rows. The table does not serve any purpose for the firmware and how the engine runs, it is dedicated for the purpose of making it easier for the user to get the idea.