Author Topic: audi ABZ V8 With VEMS and now Powerdyne BD11A  (Read 7185 times)

Offline wabtheking

• BHP: 0
audi ABZ V8 With VEMS and now Powerdyne BD11A
« on: February 07, 2013, 03:05:46 pm »
hi, after some advice so feel free to correct me if im wrong on anything im trying to do :-)

ive got a 90CQ with an ABZ fitted (loom and ecu by hilly) with stock injectors (220cc IIRC)

im now fitting a powerdyne bd11a with a standard 3" pulley and a front mounted intercooler,

looking for injectors bosch 440cc and using the adaptors from efi express with some colder spark plugs

do i need to alter the ignition timming at all to start with to help avoid det?

running standard compression

any help advise welcomed

cheers
will

Offline Sprockets

• BHP: 5
Re: audi ABZ V8 With VEMS and now Powerdyne BD11A
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 10:55:07 am »
I'm not sure what level of boost you are looking at with that particular setup, but yes, the timing will have to be altered, aswell as the load axis rescaling as I assume  you currently only go to 100kpa max?

Don't take this the wrong way but it seems you don't have much tuning experience?  If so, be very careful tuning a setup like this (Boosted stock N/A)  Some diy det cans will help, but i would be quite conservative on the timing until you get a feel for it.  If you can get help from an experienced tuner it would be good, otherwise at least post up your starting map for a once over from the forum members to say whethere it seems sane enough to start with.

Hopefully, someone with more experince of this engine will chime in, not had much to do with these.

As an aside, also might be worth uprating the fuel pump at the same time.

-Gavin

Offline wabtheking

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 12:50:35 pm »
cheers for the reply

i dont have any ecu mapping experience but have a basic understanding of what needs to be done,

im going to mount the charger/ic and run the car without it connected to the intake so i can measure the cfm of the charger at different rpm's and measure the air temp produced by the charger.

from what i can see on the web regarding this charger it can supply this size engine with 6-10psi depending on pulley size and up to about 16psi with a 928motorsport rebuild

i can fit a bosch 044 motorsport fuel pump altho the standard pump ran a 3b engine in there with 1.2bar boost with no issues but that was only a 2.2 not a 4.2 so ill look at fuel supply options as well

i need to pull the map off the ecu and post it on here so you guys can have a look,

eventually i will get it mapped properly on a rolling road by someone with the know how,

this is just to get it running with the charger safely and so i can get a better understanding of how it all works

cheers
will

Offline Sprockets

• BHP: 5
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:04:44 pm »
im going to mount the charger/ic and run the car without it connected to the intake so i can measure the cfm of the charger at different rpm's and measure the air temp produced by the charger.

Not quite sure what you mean here.....  without it connected, you aren't actually compressing anything, so there will be barely, if any temperature rise, and also not sure how you intend to measure the cfm.  Surely thats in the spec sheet for the supercharger?  If there is a known 6psi pulley ratio for this engine, run that to start with, then tailor to suit.

-Gavin

Offline wabtheking

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 10:09:11 am »
here are some specs from the web but not confermed

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/3439/sccomparegj8.png

heres how i was going to measure the cfm

http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/images/superpowerdyne/impeller4.jpg