Author Topic: s14 200sx SR20DET  (Read 7618 times)

Offline spoon

• BHP: 0
s14 200sx SR20DET
« on: June 19, 2013, 10:48:13 pm »
Hi guys had this project for years and never really got any further then installing the ecu and adapter loom (made by rob i think).
Its a 95 s14 in what has become pink instead of red :( At the moment the only modifications are IAT sensor fitted into inlet manifold and tubular exhaust manifold with egt sensor fitted and high flow turbo elbow and lastly MAF ditched.
Parts to follow when running and ready for mapping:
Front Mount Intercooler
3 inch exhaust system
Possibly Pulsar gtir t28 turbo with 360 deg thrust.

Will grab some photos asap.
I need to check what version ecu and firmware i'm on a the car has been in storage ages only pulled out on monday.
Well when everything was first installed i had a go at starting the car and failed to get the ignition timing sorted (right pain working on your own)
Monday had some friends about to help which made a difference. Put a battery in and gave it a crank it coughed and spluttered and failed to start as expected. I decided to unbolt the CAS and rotate as far as possible to see if i could get the beast to cough into life.
Suprisingly on the 3/4 year old fuel she coughed into life for a short while and would only stabilise at about 2000rpm lots of smoke intially (black).  At one point the car did idle on its own for about 30 secs but would not fire without throttle.
Used my timing light to get the timing to roughly 10-15 degrees (was changing due to throttle changes to keep engine running) with some fiddling i managed to get the ignition timing to roughly 10-15 degrees and the Cas in a position where it could actually be bolted up. The engine wouldn't run so before anything else happened we live the fuel pump relay and emptied the tank of the old fuel and replenished with fresh fuel.

At this point the world was flooded (engine) not even coughing any more whipped out the plugs which were dripping cleaned them up a bit and stuck them back in still the same. Whipped the plugs out again - completely soaked dipped the oil and smelt of petrol and the level was high :(

Does anyone have a basic map for a sr20det i can have a look at preferably for a reasonably standard engine such as mine?
Not sure if i have blown fets or just trying to run extremely rich. Got sparks as the timing light is still being triggered.
My understanding of the system at the moment is hazy at best but it seems wrong to me to have an injector duration of 14ms on cranking and at cranking the VE table is at 130% surely this can't be right?
TPS,coolant temp, map, and iat all seem to be acceptable checked coolant temp with an IR gauge and it was 0.5 of a degree off.

Why when i set the ignition timing to 10 btdc on cranking why do the gauges show 14 degrees?
I did work out that my required fuel had been entered wrongly it was at 8.9 when it should have been 8.5. I have corrected this problem but not tried cranking again until i change out the oil and plugs.
Basically i'm a bit lost :)
To rule out fets i need to monitor the earth path for the injectors as failed fets means the injectors are constantly grounded and constantly firing.

PS i am still using megatune not vems tune thats what was supplied with my kit.

Another point my vvt solenoid if left connected goes beserk clicking from a quick conversation with Rob a good few years ago IAC and vvt chanels might be mixed up in the software any thoughts?

Will bring my laptop home tomorrow which will hopefully help me write something a little more sensible then above :)

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
Re: s14 200sx SR20DET
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 01:01:37 pm »
Sounds like your firmware is VERY old to support Megatune. This needs updating

Did you replace the trigger disc to a 12+1 setup from Rob at the time?
I have now run such a setup and the stock 360+4 Nissan setup on a SR20DET with a GT3071 which did 370hp@1bar boost.

Where are you located ?

Offline spoon

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 09:35:53 pm »
Hey gunni thanks for looking in been browsing some of your magic touch across the forum :)
I'm in Wiltshire just outside Devizes.
Replaced the trigger disc in the cas with one supplied with the kit originally. I think i have a spare cas somewhere so could modify the trigger settings for that.
Just want to get the car running and get used to mapping before any real development can occur got some welding to do on the shell before i go looking for gt30 turbos  ;D
Checked the ecu today its a 3.3 did have another 4 digit number on it aswell which i have forgotton.
Heres a couple of bad pics taken on my phone.

Pic of engine bay taken after whipping plugs out. Still haven't had another go at it got as far as draining the oil :)

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 11:16:58 pm »
I suggest you update the firmware using the latest vemstune version.

Link : http://www.vems.hu/download/VemsTune/dev/VemsTune-Install-2013-03-26.exe

If you send me your file you get out of it after that I´ll try and set it up and email it back, otherwise when you are actually ready to run the engine I could pop over and help you get it running.

Offline spoon

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 10:16:31 pm »
Got vems tune downloaded haven't had chance to get anything done on the car today been really busy.
Will hopefully have a blast at firmware and sorting the oil etc out tomorrow.
Will update as soon as i get any further
cheers for the help