Author Topic: Strange periodical trigger issue - perhaps  (Read 6266 times)

Offline Mads Lund

• BHP: 4
    • VEMS member
Strange periodical trigger issue - perhaps
« on: August 11, 2013, 10:18:47 am »
Hi

I have a rather strange and periodical problem with my install. In one out of 10 drives, do the engine go on-off-on-off.... at a 2 Hz rate but only between 1200 and 1500 rpm. Stopping the engine and starting it again no normally cure the problem, and the car will drive fine. In occations will the problem come back after 10-30 min of driving.

I have managed to make a log showing the situation at 0:15 and 0:42-0:48, above 1500 rpm do the car drive fine. The triggerlog is recorded with the problem, showing in the last half of the recording. It seems like it totally looses connection to the sensor, but regains after 1-2 engine revolutions but looses it again ???

Any good ideas ?

btw: are there a place you normally share your logfiles ?

http://shares.vejnoe.com/s#e3b8cb95-e55d-4770-8d63-8747e35cd11d/mads.clouddrive.vejnoe.com/RPMPROBLEM.vemslog
http://shares.vejnoe.com/s#e8200eea-e03b-485b-9dfc-4563f9d1f388/mads.clouddrive.vejnoe.com/RPMPROBLRM.triggerlog

Br Mads
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 10:32:23 am by Mads Lund »

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
Re: Strange periodical trigger issue - perhaps
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 11:13:53 pm »
At the running point it always seems to go lean first and then have trigger issues.
From the log it seems that the fuel map could do with some work as well.

Do you have a VR sensor or hall effect?

Offline Mads Lund

• VEMS member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 09:06:21 pm »
Hi

It's the original Ford VR sensor.

And yes, the lean issue is under investigation, it's only the right bank that goes lean, and at idle do it clearlt show misfires on cylinder 1 (isolated by disabling the injectors one by one). I've just changed injectors, with the result that both lambda's are equal 2/3 of the time. But sometimes do the left bank go lean. I suspect either a defect coil, or the vvt valve not working correctly. So I've just ordered 6 new coils and cleaned and inspected the VVT valve, and it's in good working order.

What's worse is that I took some pictures inside cylinder 1 with my endoscope, and the piston is slightly damaged from knocking, the other 5 cylinders is fine. So i'm back to beleaving that one of the original injectors was falty (that just don't explain the trigger issue ??)

Anyway, I'll check the compression, and put in new coils together with the new injectors and see if things improve. And the it's back to the road for further mapping work.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:01:18 pm by Mads Lund »

Offline Mads Lund

• VEMS member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 09:14:52 pm »
BTW, don't you think the reason the lambda goes lean, is due to the lack of triggersignal, make the ecu cut ignition (and fuel) thereby pumping oxygen into the exhaust ? The lean spot happens after the rmp occilation begins. (but I cant explain why the lambda don't stay lean during the occilations  ???

Br Mads

Offline Denmark

• BHP: 7
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 08:18:07 pm »
What firmware are you using ?

I have a Car now that looses the trigger for a really short time , causing misfire 1.2.13 is the one i use on that Car 36-1 trigger setup wastedspark

Some og the times it looks like it looses the 12v feed as it triggers the afterstart running , but i Can find a problem there.

I''m going to downgrade the firmware to rule that out
working on the boxer

Offline Mads Lund

• VEMS member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 06:14:57 pm »
vemstune 1.5.3
firmware 1.2.11

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 07:48:27 pm »
BTW, don't you think the reason the lambda goes lean, is due to the lack of triggersignal, make the ecu cut ignition (and fuel) thereby pumping oxygen into the exhaust ? The lean spot happens after the rmp occilation begins. (but I cant explain why the lambda don't stay lean during the occilations  ???

Br Mads

Only potentially problematic at high load, otherwise you´d just have a missfire and that be that.