Author Topic: NO IACV  (Read 4686 times)

Offline MbRare16v

• BHP: 0
NO IACV
« on: October 20, 2014, 05:26:22 am »
I have a turbo project with a custom plenum and was wondering if I can forego installing an IACV since I've read high boost will cause IACVs to blow open in some cases. I understand it's only necessary on cold starts, this is not a daily driver and I won't be driving it in the winter and hopefully one day moving to a place where it's just warm all the time. Will VEMS run correctly if no IACV is installed? Some of you are probably reading this thinking it's impossible, but I know some people who don't have an IACV and running just fine without any sort of alternative but aren't using VEMS so that is why I'm asking.

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
Re: NO IACV
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 12:10:09 pm »
Alot of people omit using a IACV, however most people do and alot of people do with turbo setups, they are not prone to blowing open, as there would be just about the same pressure on both sides.

Maybe this images explains why

Offline MbRare16v

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 04:38:14 am »
I understand that diagram, maybe I misread the issue with an IACV being blown open due to other circumstances but I swear I read someone mentioned having that issues. When my car had CIS the IACV would just stick open if it failed or was disconnected I believe, causing high idle.

Thanks for the info

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 09:53:31 am »
some people connect only one solenoid end to manifold :)
Vems installer in Lithuania
[email protected]

Offline MbRare16v

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 12:39:08 am »
some people connect only one solenoid end to manifold :)

I don't want to tap into my boost tube so maybe this will work, with a tiny cone filter of course. I would love to use my existing Bosch 2 pin IACV although it's huge compared to the IACV motors found on the LS throttles which are very attractive for that reason, ease of install is worth the $ to me.

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 10:11:41 pm »
The ecu has this option of closing the IACV when over a certain manifold pressure.