Author Topic: Q. What to do with original air temp sensor location?  (Read 5194 times)

Offline PeepPaadam

• BHP: 8
Q. What to do with original air temp sensor location?
« on: February 03, 2015, 10:23:31 am »
I have made a Plug and Play adapter harness for Porsche 944 Turbo. Although all connections etc are present on the two original ECU plugs (it has Motronic 1.0 "DME" controlling fuel and spark and "KLR" monitoring knock and controlling boost solenoid), the intake air temperature sensor is in the "barn-door" AFM, meaning it is before turbo and intercooler.

While it apparently works when air mass is directly measured by AFM, would it cause issues with VEMS and speed density? I would think that it would or...?

I would really like the option of keeping the under-hood 100% stock as many customers would buy this product just as a replacement of original ECU's since the failure of either of these two is not uncommon and they would like to keep the car otherwise stock.

I would just try to tune the car with MAT sensor in stock location and then make another tune where I have relocated the sensor post-intercooler.

Any thoughts?

Here's the adapter (still needs some wrapping etc, to be done after car is fully tuned):

Offline MWfire

• BHP: 35
Re: Q. What to do with original air temp sensor location?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 10:39:40 am »
You can't make 100% tune if you have sensor for air temperature before turbo.

Offline lost

• BHP: 2
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 11:35:40 pm »
And that flappy AFM is killing engine sound and power, best way to go is to remove it and make adapter from hose to airbox.

Offline PeepPaadam

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 08:16:40 pm »
Making adapter is no problem. The main problem is that I am developing a product that has to appeal to as wide audience as possible, meaning also those who want to purchase the PnP VEMS just as a replacement for stock ecu and use it without any hardware modifications...
Porsches hold their price pretty good and that's why it is understandable that many owners do not want to make too many mods especially visual...

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 11:56:59 am »
Then for some you need to rely on wideband and for some they can implement adapters and such.

DonĀ“t try and make a single way for everybody, it will never work.

Offline PeepPaadam

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 07:57:58 am »
Tuned the car yesterday, with air temp at stock location. With WBo2 it behaved perfectly and driveability was good. Adding WBo2 to the kit is easy, just need to route the WBo2 plug through firewall (easy to do on 944 Turbo) and put it in the stock location. Though stock location is not optimal also, it sits just before turbo :D Turbo is on the other side of the engine on 944 Turbo using so called crossover pipe. Temperatures are lower there of course but pressure is still there and more heat than post-turbo. Would not want to make many 1-5 gear full pulls in a row in that location lol :)

I guess I need to make some kind of bolt-on solution for the air temp sensor so customers can mount it post-intercooler.

Offline MWfire

• BHP: 35
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 11:15:51 am »
lsu 4.2 measure leaner before turbo.
http://wbo2.com/lsu/lsu4.htm

Offline PeepPaadam

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 06:52:03 pm »
Yes, I was aware of that and made corrections to lambda target table beforehand.. Thanks anyway!