Author Topic: a few quick questions regarding VEMS, BMW M5X AND I/O'S  (Read 4664 times)

Offline booyaga

• BHP: 0
a few quick questions regarding VEMS, BMW M5X AND I/O'S
« on: June 09, 2015, 12:30:12 am »
Hi, im planning on running vems in my bmw, and was wondering what options i should choose when ordering my vems?

Is it possible to order the loom unwrapped?

Is there any way of using the obd2 interface?
Does vems work with can-bus displays etc?
And is there any "left over" i/o's for  controlling various pumps/fans etc?
Does the vems unit support speedometer etc?

Would any of the factory electrics be needed? Except "engine mounted" electronics.

I know im asking alot, but i would appreciate any and all replies  )

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
  • BHP: 22
Re: a few quick questions regarding VEMS, BMW M5X AND I/O'S
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 01:00:32 pm »
Hello Booyaga,

Hi, im planning on running vems in my bmw, and was wondering what options i should choose when ordering my vems?
If you elaborate a bit about your actual engine type i can make some suggestions for you, M50 is a big difference from M54.

Is it possible to order the loom unwrapped?
No, but anything thats wrapped can be unwrapped with some DIY.

Is there any way of using the obd2 interface?
No.

Does vems work with can-bus displays etc?
No.

Depending on your ecu specs, there should be enough i/o to control all your ancillaries even on M54, wheelspeed input is standard on the ecu.

Would any of the factory electrics be needed? Except "engine mounted" electronics.
For running the engine only, no (apart from fuel pump).

I hope this clears things up for you, if you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Best regards, Dave
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 01:03:21 pm by VEMS »

Offline booyaga

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 09:31:03 pm »
Hello Booyaga,
If you elaborate a bit about your actual engine type i can make some suggestions for you, M50 is a big difference from M54.

Depending on your ecu specs, there should be enough i/o to control all your ancillaries even on M54, wheelspeed input is standard on the ecu.

Best regards, Dave

1, its an m52b25, might switch it out for a "m50b28" down the line.

2, i will be needing "a few" I/O's due to a twincharge setup, alot of bypass valves etc that needs to be controlled.  i figure VEMS is pretty versitale when it comes to witch parameters to go by?  (ex: at X rpm/temp/speed etc, engage X valve/solenoid etc? :)

sorry for my crappy explaining, as my technical knowledge about this exceeds my linguistics skills on the topic :P

greetings Tor

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
  • BHP: 22
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 08:53:34 am »
Hello Tor,

Controlling a m52 should be no problem at all, i have a m54b25 in my own car also VEMS controlled

2, i will be needing "a few" I/O's due to a twincharge setup, alot of bypass valves etc that needs to be controlled.  i figure VEMS is pretty versitale when it comes to witch parameters to go by?  (ex: at X rpm/temp/speed etc, engage X valve/solenoid etc? :)
Plenty of functions available to control even the most complicated setups, download and take a look at the tuning software on: http://vems.hu/vt/ opening up a default config for latest firmware should give you a idea about the possibilities.

Best regards, Dave

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 08:58:19 am by VEMS »

Offline booyaga

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 06:29:17 pm »
Hello Tor,

Plenty of functions available to control even the most complicated setups, download and take a look at the tuning software on: http://vems.hu/vt/ opening up a default config for latest firmware should give you a idea about the possibilities.

Best regards, Dave

great!, thought for sure i needed to connect HW or enter some kind of serial, so never bothered trying.. :P 

Offline booyaga

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 09:16:36 pm »
Hello Tor,

Controlling a m52 should be no problem at all, i have a m54b25 in my own car also VEMS controlled

Best regards, Dave

any chance you could give me a pm about your setup (VEMS wise, sensors chosen etc) ? :)

and would you have any "old" config/log files "laying around" witch you could send? just for the idea of it :)