Author Topic: Fried my ECU  (Read 4994 times)

Offline ethergore

• BHP: 0
Fried my ECU
« on: June 11, 2015, 04:44:57 am »
So I accidentally fried my ecu today. My curcuit open relay for my fuel pump went out and I tried to fix it with a standard relay. Somehow voltage got sent to the ecu resulting in a really bad smell.  :'(

I am in the US and wondering if this can be fixed or the board replaced. Is there a person in the US that can repair or replace? Would I be required to just buy new? Thanks.

Here are pictures.

Front

Back

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
Re: Fried my ECU
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 08:47:18 am »
looks nasty, but I think you just need to replace stepper chip
Vems installer in Lithuania
[email protected]

Offline ethergore

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 03:25:36 pm »
That would be awesome.  Could I just order a chip and take it to a repair shop locally?

Offline fphil

• BHP: 6
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 04:16:54 pm »
Is this board still working in some way?
If not, I would try to understand whay have happened and buy a new board.

Offline ethergore

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 05:25:20 pm »
I didn't think to try to see if it still worked. I know zero about electronic components. I don't have a test bench but I could hook it back up to my car. Is that safe?

Offline jrussell

• VEMS USA
  • Administrator
  • BHP: 15
    • VEMS USA
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 05:41:33 pm »
That looks like a replace to me. The PCB is damaged quite a bit. If you need the stepper outputs, replacing that chip is unlikely to be successful.

If you have enough spare outputs that you can move the function to a different output, it might work to just remove that chip. Cut the legs with the smallest diagonal cutters you can find and then remove them one by one, or just cut flush to the PCB.

Looks like a DIY board with the connector screws and axial resistors. If so, our gutswap replacement deal doesn't apply.

If it was a fully assembled and tested purchase, email [email protected] including these pics and the serial number. They can give you a replacement cost.

Thanks,
Jason
VEMS USA - Located in beautiful Burlington, Vermont
1988 RX7 Turbo