Technical > Ignition

Almost no spark, Nissan SR20 initial set-up.

(1/5) > >>

BenFenner:
Okay, I've spent most of the day getting VEMS and sensors configured. I'm really on the final stretch. All of my sensors are working and calibrated. I am at the ignition timing step. When I crank the car to begin timing, the rpms display 180-210 and very occasionally I'll get the timing light to strobe, but not very often, and not very consistently. I've triple checked my wiring and everything seems to be in order. Any thoughts?

This is a single coil, wasted spark with distributor set-up.

My current ignition settings are:

Ignition outputs in use in h[2]      00 only
Ignition driver type                    DUMMY
Invert driver output                   Disabled
Dual Output Mode                     Disabled

Coil chargetime @14V (ms)         1.98
Coil chargetime added @6V (ms)  1.51

Changing the dwell times blindly doesn't seem to help much.

[email protected]:
Start with a charge time of about 4mS @ 14v for the single coil.
Have you set up the ignition outputs to only fire the coil channel?

BenFenner:
Yes, I have things set up to only fire the single coil. I'm not sure of the settings right now as I'm not working on the car, but I do believe I have that set-up correctly. I'm gunna take a shower and head out for another day of tinkering. Wish me luck.

BenFenner:
I couldn't figure anything out, so I took the old coil from my old setup and plugged VEMS into it. I then ran a single spark plug wire from the coil to cylinder 1. This produces consistent spark, but it seems VERY slow at 1 spark per second at about 180 rpms. Shouldn't it be more like 12 sparks per second? 4 sparks per revolution with 3 revolutions per second.

BenFenner:
I'm still sitting here with about 1/12 the sparks I should be seeing. I notice that when I disable the secondary trigger, I don't get an rpm signal anymore. This seems odd. I've tried switching the primary and secondary trigger wires with both enabled and that prevents rpm reading as well. Still stumped.

I'm just gunna wait until I get some more advice. I'm all out of ideas.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version