Author Topic: another s13  (Read 16433 times)

Offline jrtuning_ben

• BHP: 2
another s13
« on: December 16, 2007, 02:01:51 am »
quite a large project thread on sxoc and if im honest im too lazy to copy it all across so heres a linky http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=289427   :P :P

ive just bought a vems ecu system to control it all so figured id stick the project up here for your thoughts :D

basics are: forged ca with tomei cams to be running a holset hx35 and hopefully seeing 500bhp :D

Offline jrtuning_ben

Re: another s13
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 08:51:52 pm »
quick update so you all dont think im being mega lazy lol

now paid for the vems which is being dropped off at angelworks for me to pick up when the engine machining is done (hopefully early in new year).

got some solid lifters off my dad for christmas :D:D

and due to realising that my shell is rotten an sxoc member has offered to sell me his :D:D so im gonna go for it :nod: comes with cage, solid subframe bushes and a :cool: flocked dash and a fully functional roof scoop :D

some pics he sent me:

Offline BenFenner

• BHP: 8
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 09:36:09 pm »
Anyone who paints their intercooler black (even if they didn't think to use radiator paint) instantly gains my respect. =]
1994 Black SE-R (VEMS, going turbo)
1994 Black SE-R (with sunroof)

Offline BenFenner

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 09:45:02 pm »
Couldn't you find a turbo exhaust housing without the crazy internal wastegate/block-off?

Offline jrtuning_ben

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 11:08:29 pm »
why would you use radiator paint? it doesnt get hot  :P

the turbo was available with a non wastegated housing but i wasnt being that picky...i was just after a good condition turbo at the right price......may end up with a different housing anyway if this one cracks due to heat....will see how it goes....a non wastegated one will only look a bit prettier/neater.

Offline BenFenner

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 04:54:19 am »
The idea behind the radiator paint has nothing to do with how hot anything gets. Paint is an insulator, and that's a bad thing to have on any heat exchanger for obvious reasons. Radiator paint is designed to transfer heat better than typical paint. That is all.

Offline jrtuning_ben

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 05:50:10 am »
aaah i get you  :) i was careful to keep the paint thin, as i knew it would act as an insulator  :)

Offline jrtuning_ben

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 03:43:36 am »
project has been slow due to money constraints and clutch issues :(

however there is a big update :D:D copied from sxoc so sorry if some of the text doesnt make much sense ::)

Offline jrtuning_ben

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 03:44:07 am »
right then the shell swap!

started off with my old shell being trailered down to sideways dannys barn/workshop

and then we stripped it down

ooh erm i wasnt doing anything........

my favourite part of the week!

kiz enjoying my recaro a little too much

engine had to come out which meant removing the gearbox drain plug for the very first time......turns out itd had a hard life as not only was there all this fur but several large lumps also came out

then engine out so time for ghey pic

then the rest of the front end comes off

Offline jrtuning_ben

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 03:44:48 am »
then we had a little accident.........and also discovered how rusty my shell really was!

so anyway after that it was time to get the rear subframe off and grab the bits i needed from it

then hammer time

and the left over pile of bits

Offline jrtuning_ben

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 03:45:48 am »
next day was a long drive for me from northampton to norfolk to get the new shell (mucho thanks to lee for helping me bolt everything up!)

then danny and i had to apply some MAN and drag a half ton shell onto the car trailer so i could take it to the metal recyclers

then the new shell came in to be stripped of looking beautiful for a lot of welding

taped on wide rear arches

cage propped in for photos sake

then i got busy with an angle grinder so that it was ready for when danny got back to weld

and welded

Offline jrtuning_ben

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 03:47:15 am »
next day was a long drive for me from northampton to norfolk to get the new shell (mucho thanks to lee for helping me bolt everything up!)

then danny and i had to apply some MAN and drag a half ton shell onto the car trailer so i could take it to the metal recyclers

then the new shell came in to be stripped of looking beautiful for a lot of welding

taped on wide rear arches

cage propped in for photos sake

then i got busy with an angle grinder so that it was ready for when danny got back to weld

and welded

Offline jrtuning_ben

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 03:47:47 am »
also started to remove the rear seat supports to allow access for seam welding there, sadly we lost power on the last night of work we had available and as such we didnt get it finished:(

the last saturday of the week was a mega depressing one for me as it was time for the shell to go to the metal recyclers :(

though it turns out it weighed half a ton so i got £48 for it:D

then on the sunday we had a mad rush to get everything packed up so i could go home:(

and back home where it is to come back to pieces to have a bit more welding done and the bushes fitted along with some btm arm modifications ;)

Offline BenFenner

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 07:52:56 pm »
Jesus, keep that chassis swapping to yourself. I don't want anyone else [DanMartin] to get the same idea.

Offline jrtuning_ben

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 02:03:51 pm »
Jesus, keep that chassis swapping to yourself. I don't want anyone else [DanMartin] to get the same idea.

rofl  ;D ;D :P

well the whole engine build and box conversion has been held up by the clutch (or lack there of)

my first hopes were to use a dw flywheel with an rps max puck but with the splines changed to the pattern of the toyota gearbox.  rps had said this wasnt a problem but then when it came to ordering said it wasnt possible :cry: this put a major halt on the entire build :(

however! its now resolved (fingers crossed and hugging large piece of wood:wack:)

ive ordered a custom flywheel from ttv racing which is costing £210 (cheaper than both the apex one and the dw one i might add ;)) and a twin plate rally spec clutch from super clutch.

the guys at super clutch have been so helpful and have offered loads of advice in emails and countless phone calls ensuring i get the right clutch for the job and for what i want to do. i cant recommend them enough!!! the rally spec clutch has really thick friction material to handle those of us ith less mechanical sympathy and should be a good all rounder for drag and track work :) and if that proves to not be enough then using the same cage i can fit three plates with slightly thinner friction material for not a lot of cost at all :nod: this is actually the same clutch type norris designs runs on their evo so should be more than capable (he runs the triple set up).

pic of the cluch

and a pic of the friction surface

one of the black plates has a spacer machined into it so the way another plate is added is to remove said black plate and replace with a another friction disc and thin spacer plate :nod:

they even sent some super clutch sweets :D

sadly its going to be another week till ttv have my flywheel ready :(:( but after that the whhole bottom end balancing etc can go ahead :D

http://www.superclutch.com/index.htm
http://www.ttvracing.com/