Author Topic: 4EFTE Starlet  (Read 7421 times)

Offline stevieturbo

• BHP: 1
4EFTE Starlet
« on: February 17, 2008, 11:28:56 am »
As title...is anyone, or has anyone used a VEMS on one of these cars ?

Is it do-able using the factory triggers and sensors ?

It has crank/phase in the dizzy, and only other oddity is that the TPS is a switch, rather than a potentiometer as far as I am led to believe.

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
Re: 4EFTE Starlet
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 12:21:21 pm »
I played with an E-manage on one last month...  I didn't really look at the trigger, but you're right about the TPS switch. 

I am told that a "proper" sensor can be fitted to the throttle from the newer car.

The Nissan 200SX has a cam based sensor, so it should be possible.

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 02:09:56 pm »
Funny you should ask.

There has been some talk about this engine and its one I'd like to get my hands on.

The stock Toyota distributors should be discounted straight away, we've spent many hours with the 4A-GE distributors, and while I've had success on the test bench with the newer type (off the 20V 4A-GE and 3S-GTE) theres been others that have tried them in a car and found noise problems.

So that would take us to using either the sensor from the later car, or a crank trigger - which would give the best accuracy with triggering, and mean that coil packs are used.

Offline irishtwincam

• BHP: 9
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 10:46:13 pm »
Hey bob.

The 4efte should be from around the era of the 20v.
I think they ahve the usual G1/G2/24Ne Toyota setup like the other Toyotas mentioned.
Dont know if it has the weird long lead curve of the 20v dizzy before the G signals??

Ill try and score a pic sometime.