Author Topic: Subaru ign output  (Read 27836 times)

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: Subaru ign output
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 09:13:00 pm »
If you are getting a stable RPM then you should be getting an ignition pulse.  Are you scoping the output to see if there is an ignition pulse?

Offline Denmark

• BHP: 7
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 09:23:28 pm »
The Rpm is stable, and it´s cranking around 220rpm, and yes it is a scop, that we use to measure the output,
But there is no output at all,

This evening we mounted a 36-1 ford wheel on a drill, and held a ford vr sensor in the hand, to see if this could work, as this is a known trigger setup,
We could again get a stable input rpm, and the injectors are clicking, but there is no ign output..
We scoped both the stepper output, and the 4 logic level, and the 4 ignition fets,

So right now, i´m really pissed, and very close to put the vems print in the garbage can, and buy a working setup , Apexi power fc og some simple ecu,
I can see that even megasquirt got the subaru trigger working, off the shell.

I´m out of idears to make it work, other then the board is broken..
working on the boxer

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 10:13:57 pm »
When you set it to work on the logic level outputs do you set the H2 table in the configs?

You've had the VEMS working fine on other cars.

Send me your config and tables and I'll put it on my test bench.

Offline peter_jensen

• BHP: 5
  • Vems sins 2004
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 11:26:32 pm »
Have you installed the 5V supply wire to the stepper ic. If not read this build instructions (step 2) green wire
http://www.vems.hu/files/MembersPage/PeterJensen/wems_hardwareinstall.doc

Regards Peter

Offline Denmark

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 06:18:23 am »
Have you installed the 5V supply wire to the stepper ic. If not read this build instructions (step 2) green wire
http://www.vems.hu/files/MembersPage/PeterJensen/wems_hardwareinstall.doc

Regards Peter

Yep, this is not the problem,
becourse there is also no output to the ign fets, and yep i also set the H2 table , when trying the Ignition outputs.

working on the boxer

Offline Denmark

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 08:01:41 am »
When you set it to work on the logic level outputs do you set the H2 table in the configs?

You've had the VEMS working fine on other cars.

Send me your config and tables and I'll put it on my test bench.

Okay, do i set the subaru trigger, or the 36-1 trigger, for you to try?

Thanks,
Skassa
working on the boxer

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 08:33:42 am »
There is nothing wrong with the triggering from what I can see, if the RPM is stable then there should be ignition events.
So when you send it over just tell me what triggering you've got it setup for.

Offline Denmark

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 12:33:47 pm »
Okay,

My friend is today making a trigger generator, to make a trigger imput , and that will be 36-1, so i will make a config for 36-1,
But it will not be before tonight, as i have to work to make, to make a living,  ;).
But will give it ago again after work...

Strange strange, there must be something wrong with the board, but we will see..

working on the boxer

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 02:59:28 pm »
Why not use the SignalGenerator program in the tools folder, and use your soundcard?

Thats what I do, it gives good RPM sweeps.

What are your H2[] entries looking like?

I have to work to make a living too you know, thats never stopped me fault finding though ;)

Its possible that there is something up with the board - although that would be a very rare occurence, it is far more likely to be something wrong with the configuration or output tables.
Are you getting an activity from the injector FET drivers?

Rob

Offline peter_jensen

• BHP: 5
  • Vems sins 2004
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 05:08:44 pm »
Yes the injector fet`s  fires, as they should

Peter

Offline Denmark

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 06:20:45 am »
Well,

Last night we got it working on the bench, Peter jensen came over with another board to try,
As we had 2 boards were there were no igntion outputs,
We then tryed the new board with the 1.0.38 that was already in it, and it worked perfect,
We then on that board uploaded the 1.0.73 firmware and got the working, by changing the H2 table in the config,
We then uploaded the same config to the 2 boards that was not working, and it was working again  :)

So there have been some kind error in the config file,
The only change, that we did not do on this new board, was to write the long string,regarding the h2 table, that is written on the Wikiside, that have to be interred, that was interred on both the none working boards,
So we suppect that this is the course to the problem....

So DON`T write the string....

Tonight i dont get the time to put it in the car, as i need to mount new brakes, and some AGX shocks all around

Thanks,
Skassa

working on the boxer

Offline Denmark

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 07:24:23 pm »
That was the problem I had on the Nissan - and it's the same ignitor on both the Nissan and Scoob.

You can get around the problem using the stepper driver as the coil driver, although I am not doing this because I am thinking of a VEMS on my MY99 Scoob which needs the stepper driver to drive the stepper.

We measured the output voltage of the stepper chip,and the input is 5v , but the output is 12v,

so i wold like to know if you just connected it tothe ignitor or if you changed the output to 5v, as i dont belive that the ignitor will like to get 12v, or do any of you know better?

Thanks,
Skassa
working on the boxer

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2008, 10:08:35 pm »
The Hitachi DIS4-04 transistor (igniter) pack does not seem to operate at 5V, we're using the stepper chip to fire off the Nissan S14 and S14a coils which uses the same igniter pack as the Subaru. 
The tests I did showed something like a 70mA current draw, and the coils started to fire happily.

Rob

Offline Denmark

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2008, 08:07:26 am »
Hmm,

I´m sure that we scoped the volt signal from the oe ecu to be 5v, ím just not sure what model ignitor that´s on my car, i have just had a quick look at it, and it´s a alu one, were i have seen some have a plastic one.

put if it´s a 5volt signal, cant we just also change the supply voltage to the stepper chip to 5volt?

Here is a complete manual over the Legacy turbo, but i can open it here at work, it´s section 6.1, were this is shown, if i remeber correctly.
http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70542

/Skassa
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 09:00:49 am by Denmark »
working on the boxer

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2008, 09:20:46 am »
Take a 5v feed and repeatedly touch it to one of the control lines on the coil pack - if you get a spark then 5v with a good current will trigger the pack and you'll need to look at ways of doing that, maybe the stepper chip or maybe some of those driver chips that Hilly used.
The Nissan S13 had all aluminium igniter packs - these fired off from the IGBT driver chip.  Have you tried the IGBT driver chip now that you have a signal?