Author Topic: fitting cas trigger disc to sr20det  (Read 8805 times)

Offline ex-ctr

• BHP: 1
fitting cas trigger disc to sr20det
« on: March 08, 2007, 05:11:45 pm »
hi, i noticed that the standard disc has D center hole for location but the new disc does not, how do i fit it in the right place timing wise

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: fitting cas trigger disc to sr20det
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 05:57:25 pm »
Put it in in any position for the time being and just nip the screw up to hold it in place for the time being, these disks will need 'dialing' in to start off with which will be guided by your timing light.  The first test is to test that the CAS is being read correctly, then we'll setup the ignition pattern then once we have that its the other sensors then injection.

Offline ex-ctr

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 09:02:43 pm »
what would be a decent timing light to get and does the cas have an optic and magnetic sensor one for timing the other for injector timing or does the vems sort that in software, im new to this but im a quick learner :)

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 12:07:11 pm »
With wasted spark you're best to get the cheapest, simplest type that you can.  I was annoyed that I could only get a Gunson one with a retard dial ("I dont care what the light 'thinks' the spark is doing, I want the light to tell me what the ECU is doing to the spark").

The Nissan CAS is optical, it gives a very sharp Hall output, the outer four slots tell VEMS that a cylinder event is about to happen, the inner slot tells the VEMS that one complete sequence (all four cylinders have fired, all for plugs have sparked) has occured and from that the system synchronises itself.  The ideal triggering point for the outer four slots is 90-60deg BTDC, it would be handy if you could line up the inner sync slot to indicate that cylinder 1 was about to fire, but it is not important - we can define the sequence to start on any cylinder in the MegaTune: Settings->Ignition Outputs

You set the number of ignition events per sequence in the Ignition Outputs in use in h2[] box.  For four coils you select 03..00

When VEMS gets the inner slot it will start counting from 03 and with each outer slot it will count down (02, 01, 00) and of course by the time its set to count again the inner slot comes round to restart the count down.

You specify which coils are fired by the drop down boxes numbered 0 to 7, if you were to wire the coils cylinder 1 = 0 (EC36 pin35), 2 = 1 (EC36 pin33) etc you would specify the 1,3,4,2 firing order as: 
0 = 1 (EC36 pin33)
1 = 3 (EC36 pin36)
2 = 2 (EC36 pin34)
3 = 0 (EC36 pin35)

With wasted spark you'd more than likely set it up as:
0 = 1 (EC36 pin33)
1 = 0 (EC36 pin35)
2 = 1 (EC36 pin33)
3 = 0 (EC36 pin35)

Offline ex-ctr

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 12:15:47 pm »
you have just help me understand a great deal  :) also as im using wasted spark  need to get the disc squanced right to number 1 cylinder or could i find the fuel injectors fireing 1 cycle out, it would not be a problem with 4 coils and a timing light but with 2 coils its 50/50

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 12:17:13 pm »
seriously its not that much of an issue Wasted spark is easier to set up, and once you've found where in the sequence of events cylinder one sits you can adjust your injector pattern to suit - you want to fire onto a closed valve BTW not an open one.

Rob

Offline ex-ctr

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 01:43:24 pm »
just checked the nissan trigger disc and the slot is centred on the sensor head at around 90' btdc on no1 cylinder so i will set the vems trigger disc in the same place with the inner hole there as well