Author Topic: Volvo S40 (updated 15/09/08) Pics and LC vid  (Read 34982 times)

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
Re: Volvo S40 (updated 30/07/08) Idle Video
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2008, 11:30:08 pm »
If your actual lambda the same as your lambda table?

That´s something you can do by yourself using logs and megalogview for instance or just have the misses drive it while you raise and lower fuel, when you have got fuel sorted take it to a dyno place and have them
adjust timing. Don´t just hand it over to anybody but somebody you know in your area or is well regarded.

Offline Andy P

• BHP: 3
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2008, 12:42:40 pm »
I've just got back from 2 weeks in France - in the car!

Considering I had only done about 150-200 test miles before setting off, it wasn't all that bad really...well...kind of... lol.

I had fitted new tyres to the rear (ones i had on some spare wheels) and they went up from 205/40/17 to 215/45's so I expected some rubbing. I trimed off a load of inner arch before fitting them and clearance was fine however over bigger bumps I hadn't anticipated the wheel to move forwards aswell (following the radius of the trailing arm) which i hadn't trimmed so it scrubbed - quick fix was to lever the lip back out the way.

2nd day of travel the drivers side speaker was being intermittant so after a lunch stop i decided to quickly pull out the headunit and sort it out... After the slightest tug something strange happened - Vems LCD lit up...keys in hand...wtf! Shortly followed by billowing smoke from behind the dash..... Quickly ripped out the centre console to see a nice electrical fire melting various looms!!! Disconnected all power and put out the fires - I had an extinguisher on hand but thankfully didn't need to use it. Spent the next hour and a half sepearting lumps of rubber/plastic/bare copper wire and insulating them. Had a heart stopping moment when i powered up Vems to see the LCD displaying nothing :( Thought that was it... Then the Mrs noticed in my haste to rip out the console I had broken some of the LCD wires - Pluged in the laptop and powered up vems to see everything was in fact all ok!! Fired the car up first time :D

Next day I just went over all the nuts and bolts in the engine bay to find a few manifold bolts were only finger tight....

Next thing was the live feed to vems for some reason cutting out - cause was a bad battery connection.

A week later the powersteering was feeling notchy and belt was slipping - The PAS pump bracket had snapped off one end and was only just hanging on - not far off falling into the cambelt! Promptly removed and taken to a local garage to weld up using my fluent Fren-grish (english in a french accent). Ended up cracking again so resorted to bolting spanners to it to brace it up!

On the way home noticed a bit of a grinding noise coming from the pass front wheel when turing right. Thought it was just arch liner rubbing and "fixed" that. Turned out it was still doing it and I noticed a small score mark on the outer edge of the disc - a small stone in the caliper perhaps? I'll investigate the next morning. Next day I whip off the front wheel and caliper - no stone but the hub nut was loose!! Found a garage in the middle of nowhere called "Super Penus" that eventualy found a 36mm socket from the agricultural part of the garage - nothing in the car section big enough!

Finally the circlip holding the wastegate arm popped off resulting in no turbo and the vibrations eventually caused the Rod end to fall off on the motorway!!

So, rater uneventful trip!!!

On a better note I managed to get about 500 miles to a 60 litre tank (using 55 litres of that works out at 41mpg!!!)

Clocked the trip home from Pepignan to be 880miles - I had planned to clock the whole trip but several battery resets ended that plan. I guess I covered about 3000 miles in the 2 weeks.

Oh the holiday was good :D

Andy P

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2008, 05:52:29 pm »
The definition of bravery is taking your Mrs' on a new-build's shakedown and calling it a holiday.

I have your EGT sensor olive here, drop me your address and it will be in the post.

Offline irishtwincam

• BHP: 9
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 01:11:45 pm »
The definition of bravery is taking your Mrs' on a new-build's shakedown and calling it a holiday.

I have your EGT sensor olive here, drop me your address and it will be in the post.

Respect!

Offline Andy P

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2008, 01:50:58 pm »
Ok, another small update to keep things ticking over...

Had these fitted before we went to france but thought I'd post up the (very crap) picture anyway. Subaru WRX front seats...

Here's a pic of the offending PAS bracket....

Finally got round to sticking on the VEMS sticker!

And finally I had a little play with the ALS/Launch control..

Andy :)

Offline Andy P

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2008, 01:56:54 pm »
Oh, thought I'd post a few pictures taken from the holiday...

The day before I left for holiday...

Was up until the early hours sanding and priming to get the car "complete" before we left.

Fixing the "melt down"  :D

Random shots..

Hope you like :)

Andy

Offline BenFenner

• BHP: 8
Re: Volvo S40 (updated 15/09/08) Pics and LC vid
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2008, 04:59:54 pm »
Your front rotors are on backwards.  :-\

1994 Black SE-R (VEMS, going turbo)
1994 Black SE-R (with sunroof)

Offline Andy P

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2008, 05:10:32 pm »
Your front rotors are on backwards.  :-\

Nope...

Yes from the outside it looks to be wrong but the inner vanes are correct :)

Andy P

Offline tcode

• BHP: 5
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2008, 09:15:27 pm »
Both directions are fine. This setup Andy has now is a bit more aggressive to the pads.