Author Topic: what to do next once you have idle... drivin and mapping??? (Q/A)  (Read 21839 times)

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: what to do next once you have idle... drivin and mapping??? (Q/A)
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 06:40:02 pm »
I had a look and think its worth looking at, it does need a few "known" parameters though.

The reason that there was no comment on it was because all the people involved with this thread were up at a Race track over this holiday weekend! ;D

Offline cliffb75

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 10
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 07:32:50 pm »
I had a look at it. It certainly makes pretty pictures, and seems to have a number of the right things in it. The numbers that come out in the map are plausible.

The problem as Rob said, is that there are still some things that you need to know first - most importantly the 'max advance at 100kpa' input. Everything else hangs off this.

That means that it is of limited use for generating a map completely from scratch, as you don't have that information.

However, if you do have some idea of what you need, e.g. you have had the full load line mapped on the dyno, then I could see it could be useful for helping to fill in the rest of the map.

At the moment I'm sceptical because I haven't seen it correllated to any real data. Maybe we'll get the chance to test it on someones car over the coming months?

Offline damo_S13

• BHP: 5
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 10:39:00 pm »
if there was the chance for you to have a play with my car you would be more than welcome  ;D

damo
building vems 4age with itb powered corolla

Offline Denmark

• BHP: 7
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 04:25:47 pm »
The Caculator is from a danish forum site, were it have been altered severel times to make it fit lots of the danish engines that have been built, that is all kind of different engines,

When i installed the 4age blacktop engine in my AE86, this calculator was not there, and i drived the car some time to perfect the map,
Then i saw this calculator, and it was almost spot on, to what i had entered, but it was a bit to aggresiv(2-3degrees to advanced up top), so that have also been changed in the calculator.

But is should be a really good base map to start to work with.

Regards,
Skassa
working on the boxer

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 05:58:58 pm »
Any tool that helps someone visualise the shape of a timing map is a good tool.

Offline cliffb75

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 10
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 08:29:50 pm »
Any tool that helps someone visualise the shape of a timing map is a good tool.

Absolutely. Like I said, the numbers generated are plausible. It even has the little 'ski ramp' I described in Damo's other thread for the idle region.

But, if (as in your case Skassa) the result is not right and you end up over advanced you could end up damaging your engine - this is obviously particularly important for a turbo car. If you are starting completely from scratch then there is a reasonable chance that this might happen, since you have no base settings.

As with most things, you need to listen to everything, but keep a healthy dose of scepticism until you've tested it for yourself.  :)

Damo - when are you likely to be Northampton way next? I may be able to get some 2wd rolling road time cheap from a mate (I'll have to ask)

Offline damo_S13

• BHP: 5
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 11:59:11 pm »
cool  :D any time you want me  :D i really need to check out my bottem end 1st tho hope to do this at the weekend will keep you updated

damo
building vems 4age with itb powered corolla

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 12:13:58 am »
The results weren't good for my TVR engine...  Far too little advance at light loads.  (The old Rover will take hours of advance here - no point in measuring it in degrees ;) )

Offline PeepPaadam

• BHP: 8
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 11:34:10 am »
With some experience, one can make a pretty workable spark map from scratch taking into account such variables as engine type, combustion chamber design, bore, stroke etc.
I've done it on few cars and it works quite well and has decent fuel ecnomy.
Though it's definitely NOT recommended. Final adjustement has to be done on the dyno.