Author Topic: 88 Pin motronic Plug N Play  (Read 34316 times)

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
88 Pin motronic Plug N Play
« on: February 11, 2009, 05:33:40 pm »
This will be the place where I will update on the situation.

Quote from: From my wikipage
ust found a location for these.

I´ll do some background work before anything more happens.

I would like to see this developed as a
solution.

Meaning PCB daughterboard on the inside that does the pin arranging and not wires. This will make it easy to have different versions of this 88pin Plug N Play.

So that people can order them exactly as they need them.

Assuming the PCB is available for their needs.

Wires aren´t really the elegant solution.

Then they should be supplied with base maps for easy startup.

EDIT.

I´ve just gone over some Motronic 1.3 and later systems.

I think I´ll be able to do some 1.5 and 1.8 systems.
I can already see 1.7 system working well with 88pin (BMW 318is E30/E36 , Alfa´s 6cyl´s)
Also Motronic 3.1 for BMW M50 series.

I´ll be doing the 1.7 / 3.1 first.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 05:23:12 am by gunni »

Offline gunni

Re: 88 Pin motronic Plug N Play
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 07:20:00 am »
Done all the preliminary work for

BMW M50 non vanos Bosch
BMW M50 single vanos Bosch
BMW M52 single vanos Siemens
BMW M43 M1.7.3 Bosch
BMW M44 M5.2 Bosch
BMW S50B32 Double variable vanos Siemens - vanos requires locking. (Euro S05B32)

For most part this does include
BMW S50B30 Single variable vanos Bosch M3.1.1 and would require vanos locking.

All of these are easily run by the VEMS unit. But each would have to be ordered specifally to spec to make sure they follow the right pin out and crank sensor configuration.

M50 non vanos should be ready by end of summer.

Offline gunni

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 07:24:15 am »
Just to add,
This will also mean the V8´s of that era also would work.

BMW M60 and M62 engines.
TU engines would require vanos locking but otherwise work.

S62´s would not work cause they have electronic throttles. 8units.

Offline PeepPaadam

• BHP: 8
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 02:26:45 pm »
Wouldn't it be possible to run variable vanos using boost control interface as it's also PWM and would use just the rpm as a reference?

I may have one customer who is interested in PnP VEMS for M60 (E34 540), but that doesn't have VANOS iirc.

Offline gunni

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 03:46:16 pm »
The vanos control strategy is based on looking at the cam phasing and then automatically determining required PID based on a target camshaft timing table.

single switchable vanos is easy. It´s the variable vanos that is hard with current vems.
as you need 4 cam sensors and 2 pwm valve outputs to control 2 camshafts.

I´m pretty sure if somebody where to design a secondary board or similar then this could be done by CAN for instance.
Which is how the first variable vanos engine was (Euro S50B30) which has a special Vanos ecu.
It would be seriously nice to get double vanos and preferably V8 double vanos (quad cams).
That would open up a very big range of engines the unit could control and these are engines in very hot demand for tuning now and in the next few years as BMW owners want to go TURBO.

to answer, yes you could run a PWM signal but for each cam you need two PWM signals
and then you wouldn´t actually know how far you where adjusting it anyway.

Offline PeepPaadam

• BHP: 8
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 12:40:39 am »
Yeah, didn't think about the monitoring need of the cam.

I think cam control should be next big target in development but I'm not sure developers would want to do this? By todays standard, drive-by-wire and cam control would get VEMS many new customers who go other, more expensive EMS when they ask me if VEMS can control these.

I have no problem using VEMS on daily driven supercharged Porsche 993 Carrera and it does what the engine needs, but this is old technology by todays standards.

Offline gunni

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 01:36:55 am »
Very true.
But since we don´t even have a fully functioned ECU to work with that has proper control software it leaves out any chances of add-on modules to be designed such as Motec uses ALOT while those things get´s sorted.

From what I can see of the v3 board it just doesnt have the capabilites for those new car technologies
while CAN bus and or other buses would allow such technologies to be controlled.

Offline gunni

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 04:47:41 am »
So I´ve been able to finally find a solid source for the 88pin motronic connectors and can now start
designing it. As with the Nissan PnP´s there will be no wires on the inside and in this case this will be 100% PnP
due to the 60-2 trigger setup. The user is however required to connect a vacuum/boost line to the ecu.

The 88pin Motronics PnP will be able to replace at least the following bosch numbers

402, 403 , 404, 405 , 413 , 282

This is then
M42 , M50/2 (all variants, no double vanos only single wire activated vanos, VR and Hall setups) , M60 , S50euro with locked vanos.

Of course the ecu will come with all the latest features of VEMS and there will be an extra connector on the back for wideband, EGT, LCD and extra outputs. I should have an update hopefully mid August.

Offline multiplex

• BHP: 6
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 08:11:20 am »
thats great news! can't wait to see PNP on m50's  ;D

Offline gunni

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 02:37:12 pm »
Yea. the connector things has been holding things back all this time.

But now I should be able to roll out some versions, I do have a good feeling that the single vanos M50, non vanos M50 and M42 ecu´s will probably have the same internals in the PnP version so only a config change will make it work with the other engines. Not sure on the rest of them right now cause I can´t remember all the pinouts  ???

I personally LOVE PnP ecu´s if they are done right. Something that can take a day to wire up now takes 10minutes WITH removing the old ecu. It would be alot of fun to log the MAF voltage against HP and then note when each MAF really does stop metering.

Offline gunni

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 02:19:58 pm »
Now the PCB supports

M50 non vanos
M50 single vanos

I´m using jumpers to make it possible to have one PCB. It just simplifies things for me in stocking parts to have one PCB.

With some more jumpering it looks like it will be possible to support S50B30 and S50B32 (euro engines) from a single PCB. But of course without any variable vanos operations.

A suggestion from Jorgen to allow for running without camsync is implemented so that "dual out" option is available for the COP´s and no camsync in case a cam sensor fails for instance.

I need to look at the US engines a bit more to see where they fit in, mainly the S52/M52 stuff.

I should have an enclosure pics in the next 4-5weeks,

Offline multiplex

• BHP: 6
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 10:21:03 am »
nice progress! sounds like it will be well thought out.

so vems will eventually have a cam sync failure mode?

Offline gunni

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 03:21:20 pm »
Who knows. It sure could do, you could always setup a switch that changes configs , so one is with camsync and the other not.

I´ve just made the wiring arrangement so that in the case of a faulty cam sensor you could change the config to suit.

Offline VemsedE36

• BHP: 1
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 01:09:33 am »
How much do you make m50 pnp?

Offline gunni

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 03:37:49 pm »
It´s not available yet.
When it will be is not 100% certain either.