Author Topic: CDI coil drivers  (Read 13858 times)

Offline Sprockets

• BHP: 5
CDI coil drivers
« on: February 13, 2009, 10:32:47 pm »
Hi guys.

Quick question.  Now I've finally got myself sorted work wise (HGV technician for merc.....bloody hard work, but interesting.  You thought car management systems were tricky!!!!) I'm getting ready to convert my GSXR 1000 race bike over to vems to sort out a few issues I don't like with the stock ECU. (multiple maps for different gears including restricion in the upper gears).  However, the coils are stick type CDI units.  The best option I have found to drive them is the AEM CDI drivers, but at $350 it's a lot of cash.  Any other ideas out there or am I stuck with this?  I would like to keep the coils as they are proven and compact.  I don't have a lot of space under there!

Any ideas welcomed.

-Gavin

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: CDI coil drivers
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 12:48:45 am »
Good to hear you've got some work, I'm seeing and hearing loads of people loosing their jobs in every sector.

What's wrong with trying to run the coils with the IGBT?

Rob

Offline Sprockets

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 07:22:05 pm »
According to the Suzuki workshop manual the values they give indicate the sticks are CDI driven stock, was under the impresion an IGBT couldn't drive these correctly?

The figures from the manual state the following:

Minimum peak primary voltage at cranking: 80V
Primary resistance: 0.8-2.0ohms
Secondary resistance: 8-15Kohms

Will get a multimeter out to confirm these values, but those figures can be taken as reliable.

-Gavin

Offline Sprocket

• BHP: 29
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 07:32:44 pm »
If you read a little more in the workshop manuals you will find it says they are transistor type ignition so infact they are not CDI

I run the Denso pencil coils from a kawasaki. I did run the gsxr Denso coils for a short period, but kept blowing fuses with a dwell of 1ms. This was mainly down to my ignorance. I swapped them for the Kawasaki coils, a little longer and a diferent primary and secondary impeadance, and everything has been fine since. I could have tried a lower dwell of 0.5ms, as I have since looked at other manufacturers coils where I could find data, I dont think the 0.5ms would have been far off the mark.

Start with a VERY small dwell time, check the primary voltage as it describes in the workshop manual to give you an idea if the dwell is too much or too little. 80v at the IGTB when cranking is what you need to aim for. Make sure you set the correct coil charge time MAP scale value, I set mine to '01'. That only adjusts the dwell time on battery voltage. any other number will change the dwell time with MAP

Hope that helps

Offline Sprocket

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 07:34:32 pm »
I'll put the Denso part numbers up later of the coils I used ;)

Offline Sprockets

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 07:51:05 pm »
Ah! Good info!  Top man :)

I keep forgetting your car is half bike :p

May buy myself a scope so I can get an idea of the dwell times of the stock ECU and monitor whats going on.  The rest of the install is a pretty basic affair.  The trigger is 8 on the crank with a single cam pulse per rotation.  stock wiring is individual runs to each injector and coil, and I have all the curves for the rest of the sensors IAT,CLT,MAP,BARO.  I even have access to the info from a stock bin from the ECU, so the ignition table should be 95% of the way there without seeing a dyno :)

Just got to take the exhaust system off to have a bung made up and welded in.....I can't weld titanium, and don't want to risk blowing a hole in a £1200 exhaust system!

-Gavin

Offline Sprocket

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 08:24:04 pm »
I can't weld titanium, and don't want to risk blowing a hole in a £1200 exhaust system!

-Gavin

I know the very man for that task ;D

http://www.foxwebsitedesign.co.uk/index.html

Offline Sprocket

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 05:26:56 am »
Right

The coils I use are Denso 129700-4150 from a Kawasaki and work well with dwell as low as 1ms. I currently have the dwell set at 1.5ms wihout issue.

The coils I was having problems with, but not sure why yet As i did have other ECU problems, maybe thats why. 129700-3440 from a Suzuki. I lowered the dwell to 1ms and still had the fuses pop, but, i also had flooding issues which might not have helped. Im sure I can get these to work and perhaps 0.5ms would be a better place to start.

There is another coil that i'm sure a friend uses 129700-3630 also from a Suzuki. He has a 2ms dwell on those, but i woul dneed to double check that the part number is correct. He has also only done 60miles on those so far, so reliability is still to be tested.

Offline gsxturbo

• BHP: 3
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 04:32:00 pm »
Hello might be able to help you here the stock coils for the GSXR and Haybusa are not CDI some of the earlier GSXR's (97-98) were CDI i think but not the later years.

You can run the coils either in COP configuration or WS with standard IGBT drivers i use 6.0ms cranking dwell and around 2.0 running dwell .

The GSXR 1000's have a 24-2 crank wheel setup and 1 cam pin also the 07 up 1000 use a hall sensor for the can sensor ( might be a better option than the previous years VR for the cam).

What year 1000 are you working with?

Offline Sprockets

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 08:29:53 pm »
Cheers for the info mate.

It's a K1.  It has 8 even teeth on the crank and single pulse on the cam.  Nice and simple :)

Will run the coils sequentially.

-Gavin

Offline gsxturbo

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 10:47:58 am »
No problem if you need any more info just ask and i will try help if i can help.

Do you plan on using the stock dash?

If so i might be able to help you keep the CLT and clock function on the dash i have a separate micro that sends the serial data to the dash to to it over when replacing the dash i haevnt done a 1000 yet but from what i have heard the use the same serial protocol as the busa.

Also do you plan on using the stock harness with the vems?

Offline Sprocket

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 06:48:37 pm »
Hello might be able to help you here the stock coils for the GSXR and Haybusa are not CDI some of the earlier GSXR's (97-98) were CDI i think but not the later years.

You can run the coils either in COP configuration or WS with standard IGBT drivers i use 6.0ms cranking dwell and around 2.0 running dwell .

The GSXR 1000's have a 24-2 crank wheel setup and 1 cam pin also the 07 up 1000 use a hall sensor for the can sensor ( might be a better option than the previous years VR for the cam).

What year 1000 are you working with?

Good to know, but Denso part numbers would help a lot ;)

Offline gsxturbo

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 12:31:38 am »
129700-3960 for sure are not CDI i will have to check my other stash of coils to see what the numbers are on them.