Author Topic: Autronic 500r cdi unit with vems  (Read 8382 times)

Offline tonci

• BHP: 1
Autronic 500r cdi unit with vems
« on: June 16, 2009, 01:32:40 pm »
Does anybody have any experience with Autronic cdi unit working with Vems ecu? I don't know what ignition output to use? IGBT outputs or logic level? What about ignition settings? 

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: Autronic 500r cdi unit with vems
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 01:57:47 pm »
I imagined that the Autronic CDI would want logic level switching, but it turned out that it was happy with an IGBT, as we understood it this meant that it could be put on to the end of a standard igniter pack.
The car in question is running logic level in inverted mode, and about 2ms charge times

Offline tonci

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 04:41:23 pm »
Ok I am a bit confused right now ??? If I've understood correctly I can use IGBT power outputs for triggering autronic cdi box, is that correct? If yes do I need to run it in inverted mode with 2ms charge time? Why does the car in question run logic level outputs? 

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 05:06:36 pm »
Yes it looks like IGBT can be used to drive the CDI.
No you can just use it as standard.

The reason that we have the logic level outputs is because we guessed that the CDI wouldn't need the high current drivers.

What we guess is that the inputs have a high voltage pull-up, so that IGBTs can be used.

Offline tonci

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 05:16:06 pm »
Ok so I will not fry anything if I connect igbt outputs to 500r cdi inputs and leave inverted disabled?
I can leave 2ms charge time? (although it does not meter too much with CDI right?)

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 05:36:42 pm »
IGBTs themselves do not put out a voltage so you should be fine.  But as always make sure that supplies are fused according to specification, and start with low charge times to limit the amount of power in the system.

Offline tonci

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 05:48:52 pm »
OK thanks a lot ;D...

Offline MWfire

• BHP: 35
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 07:47:20 pm »
IGBTs themselves do not put out a voltage so you should be fine.  But as always make sure that supplies are fused according to specification, and start with low charge times to limit the amount of power in the system.

Spark with CDI is determinated with only capacitor(capacitance) and voltage. Typical values are 1-2uF and 350-400V, so spark has energy  of 61mJ-160mJ(E=C*U*U/2). For charging capacitor it takes 1-10us, so dwel time doesn't affect on spark energy(heating).