Author Topic: Ignition outputs and lack of sparks  (Read 9542 times)

Offline se7ensport

• BHP: 6
Ignition outputs and lack of sparks
« on: April 23, 2007, 08:09:22 pm »
Looks like I got ahead of myself asking about maps  :-[ 

I can get sparks using the originally configured as 3 (EC36 Pin 36) and 2 (EC36 Pin 34), but I'd already built the loom and planned to use pins 33 & 35 as per Phat bobs user guide, however I've tried selecting them within ignition outputs and all I get is continuous earth- possibly selected for something else????

is there a simple way round this or just get the stanley out and cut off the sheathing and start again?

Cheers

Alex

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: Ignition outputs and lack of sparks
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 08:53:12 pm »
As discussed on the phone, the UserGuide pictures were wrong, as the FET layout on the board was changed to provide better cooling potential. The new pins are described here:

I'll be updating the UserGuide this evening.

Offline se7ensport

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 11:24:30 pm »
cheers Rob, all sorted

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 09:24:11 am »
Its sparking or you've got it running?

Offline se7ensport

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 03:09:23 pm »
Sparking, you'll know when its running  ;D

I'd spent most of the weekend tinkering, so to keep the mrs happy decided to call it a night while things were going well, if I leave the car with an issue to be resolved I'll spend the rest of the night trying to figure it out, reading or on the net popping in and out to the garage etc....

I did manage to start converting the maps i have while watching a film with her  ;)

Offline se7ensport

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 09:49:22 am »
Cars up and running using VEMS for the ignition!!!

Started immediately once I'd set the trigger angle :D

I've already loaded up a map that is close to requirements and I'm working on mounting the knock sensor. it's then a case of tuning the ignition map, where do I start, what do I need to read?

Alex

Ps VEMS logger is pretty cool, I had a play with it last night, although not yet sure how to use the data for tuning yet.

Offline Agriv8

• BHP: 4
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 10:10:42 am »
Well done ( you were quicker than me  ;D ;D )

Just looking at the logs in detail lets you see what was going on ie high lamba values I saw in my log was due to the over-run fuel cut that happened a second before the high values.

Hope to have some instructions done shortly so log files can be uploded to a free online file server so easilly looked at by other forum members.

regards agriv8
'The older I get the faster I was'

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 10:33:55 am »
Cars up and running using VEMS for the ignition!!!

Started immediately once I'd set the trigger angle :D

I've already loaded up a map that is close to requirements and I'm working on mounting the knock sensor. it's then a case of tuning the ignition map, where do I start, what do I need to read?

Alex

Ps VEMS logger is pretty cool, I had a play with it last night, although not yet sure how to use the data for tuning yet.

Good work!

First thing to do is to rev the engine while using the timing light, and check that its giving the right advance through out the rev range, use the main MegaTune screen to help with the RPM and spark advance.

Log EVERYTHING, from start up to power runs, using MegaTune's datalogging File->Datalogging->Record...  We can then use MegaLog Viewer to see the factors involved with the tuning session.

Then you really need to read Cliff's guide, he's written a load of very useful information there based on his experiences.

Though the reality is that you can really only tune to MBT with the use of a Rolling road, you can do a damn good job with time and experience and feedback from the datalogs.

Most importantly have fun learning.

Rob