Author Topic: Is there any reason to not use a different sort of IGBT for ignition channels?  (Read 5577 times)

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
SKP10N60 IGBTs can be bought cheaply and shipped next day from Farnell.  Is there a good reason why I can't use them instead of the IRGB14L40C IGBTs?   (Will be for both coils and injectors since IGBTs have proven to be more reliable than FETs...)

The headline specs look about the same.

Offline MWfire

• BHP: 35
if i see corect that is logel level igbt. But i can't see if it has overvoltage procetion diode. If is has, than that is good transistor for ignition.

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
I thought it did have over-voltage protection.  (but I may have got the wrong part no.)
It doesn't look as good as the original part though...  Looks like I'll stick with what I know works.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 06:30:44 am by dnb »

Offline SamSpade

• BHP: 5
You can't use it for ignition.  It will get toasted the moment you crank your engine.

You have to use IGBTs that are specifically designed for ignition circuits, like the ISL9V3040P3 installed on my GenBoard v3.5.  Coil driving IGBTs are constructed to clamp (limit and absorb) the primary coil voltage to around 400V so that the secondary coil will generate the appropriate kV to produce spark.  If you use just any IGBT that doesn't clamp the flyback voltage from the primary coil, the spike will reach a voltage that would easily destroy it.

The ISL9V3040P3 is available in Farnell, although in limited stocks last time I checked.

Offline SamSpade

• BHP: 5
I rechecked Farnell.

Apart from the ISL9V3040P3, the OnSemi MGP15N40CLG and IR IRGB14C40LPBF are appropriate substitutes.  All 3 are designed as ignition IGBTs, have clamping voltages of ~400V, and maximum clamping avalanche energy of 300 mJ, and are pin compatible in the TO-220AB package.