Author Topic: Audi V8 ABZ turbo - is my config's right?  (Read 11266 times)

Offline guzior

• BHP: 1
Audi V8 ABZ turbo - is my config's right?
« on: January 01, 2010, 04:24:47 am »
Hi.
I want to run ABZ with turbo on VEMS (with 1.1.63 firmware). Engine is in the car, mechanicly is ready to run. I made 60-2 trigger wheel on pulley.
Trigger wheel (even with all 60 teeth):

I cut 2 teeth so as to be exactly 10 teeth before TDC of the first cylinder (so TDC after the trigger = 60deg).
Today I was making wiring, calibrating temperature sensors, and plugged primary trigger to check that the VEMS correctly sees rpm at the cranking.
When I turn ignition ON and cranking, VEMS see 100rpm (and does not change), but displays the trigger errors. Why?
I don't use hall sender on cam, and if it's no needed I don't want to use it.
Config of primary trigger:
TDC after the trigger: 60
Number of teeth on wheel: 58
Trigger tooth: 0 (it is ok?)
Next trigger tooth: 15
Crank min period: 496 (and what about this?)

I would add that the teeth on the pulley wheel does not fall perfectly in the middle of the sensor, but they are slightly shifted. As viewed from the top looks like this:

Some time ago I found a comprehensive description (unless at the vemswiki, but I can't find it again) of how primary trigger should be configured, with the exact numbers to be entered and how to calculate it.

Second question:
If I only use the primary trigger, without camsync, and when I connect coils like this:
Coil 1 to EC36-pin35
Coil 2 to EC36-pin33
Coil 3 to EC36-pin34
Coil 4 to EC36-pin36
Coil 5 to EC36-pin11
Coil 6 to EC36-pin12
Coil 7 to EC36-pin24
Coil 8 to EC36-pin10

also will be the correct a firing order of:
0 - EC36-pin33
1 - EC36-pin24
2 - EC36-pin34
3 - EC36-pin12
4 - EC36-pin10
5 - EC36-pin36
6 - EC36-pin11
7 - EC36-pin35

(engine has firing order 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2)
??
Or maybe I should change something, to run in wasted spark (when use only crank 60-2 trigger)??

Third question:
I need to connect the injectors in the 4 groups (2 for each group), because I want to also control the stepper motor, boost controler and length of the inlet manifold (with solenoid valve).
How should I group the injectors, connect them and how to configure VEMS to work fine with this connection?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 04:26:34 am by guzior »

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
Re: Audi V8 ABZ turbo - is my config's right?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 06:54:33 pm »
Some points.

"Crank min period" is not appliceable to trigger types other than coil-type. It is used to avoid false triggering and is calculated using the shortest period between two pulses (at the rev limit). It's not greyed out which is unfortunate.

"Trigger tooth = 0" means the first tooth after the missing ones. You'll have to strobe the ignition to find the correct one and fine tune with "TDC after the trigger" (set that to 45-50 degrees). I'm sure you are aware - don't power the fuel injectors before you are certain that you will have a decent ignition timing.

As you are running COP with wasted spark you will have to enable "dual out" in the ignition settings. That will fire two outputs simultaneously. You must wire the cylinders so that cylinders at TDC are an odd/even number following each other in the ignition output naming system.
The ignition output table will change accordingly and only contain four ignition events.

For the injectors, select two injectors for each "inj group" in the visual dialog (picture of the connector). You will only use the first four rows of the injector group table. Make sure you are using groups "3..0" in the injector settings.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 06:58:44 pm by mattias »

Offline guzior

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 07:36:42 pm »
For the injectors, select two injectors for each "inj group" in the visual dialog (picture of the connector). You will only use the first four rows of the injector group table. Make sure you are using groups "3..0" in the injector settings.
I must connect 2 injectors to 1 output.

...:::EDIT:::...
I have problem with spark. I connect ignition output as in dual outputs menu but spark doesn't jumping on spark. My config looks like this:

Where is the problem?
May trigger error that appears have any sense?
Why does it occur?
On the different firmware (for example on 1.1.27) trigger error don't appear.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 11:17:14 pm by guzior »

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 12:20:18 am »
First off, cam sync is not disabled properly.

It doesn't seem like you are running the latest VemsTune and firmware 1.1.64, if you did use this the cam sync options would look different and would be easy to disable.

The reference tooth table is traversed backwards, just like the ignition output table.  Yeah, I know it's stupid but that is how it is.

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 01:28:53 am »
Happy New Year!

Note to hardware:
simple two teeth cutting most probably will not work with VR sensor on high rpm. Missing sector should be "filled" aprox. half of tooth height. You need Hall sensor.

Shiffted sensor is OK until its core is against wheel. Make sure your sensor have round core. Flat core require correct sensor angle.

Gints

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 02:40:14 am »
I forgot to add.  No working cam sync = no ignition. You still get rpm, but that's from the primary trigger.

Offline guzior

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 03:40:53 am »
RPM was displayed correctly. I don't know what's happened, but I have spark. I only chose 4cyl 60-2 in primary trigger config menu, and rpm are showed correctly and spark appear. Than I change next trigger tooth to 15 and reference tooth table to:
45 30 15 0
But never mind. Engine start-up  ;D ;D

I've connect ignition like this:
cyl1 - EC36/35
cyl2 - EC36/10
cyl3 - EC36/36
cyl4 - EC36/11
cyl5 - EC36/34
cyl6 - EC36/33
cyl7 - EC36/12
cyl8 - EC36/24

And injectors like this:
cyl1 & 5 - EC36/7
cyl4 & 8 - EC36/19
cyl6 & 3 - EC36/8
cyl7 & 2 - EC36/20

My vemscfg file:
http://rapidshare.com/files/328944498/ABZ.vemscfg.html
http://www.sendspace.com/file/rptfma
http://hotfile.com/dl/22659980/bf200dc/ABZ.vemscfg.html

If you can, take a look at my config and write if I have a good set of ignition and injection (if order is correct, divider fo injectors (run 2 for 1 output) etc.) because I do not know whether the engine is running on all cylinders (engine's now running only on manifolds).

Regards
Bartek

PS. I forgot - the engine is running on 1.1.64 firmware.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 02:57:27 pm by guzior »

Offline guzior

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 03:08:11 am »
Any sugestions?

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 08:40:34 pm »
Set your "coil charge time MAP scale" to = 1.
The current value of 55 might fry your coils or overheat the wiring when you use full throttle and forceful driving.

Somehow all of your tables are garbled.. if th engine is running it must be poorly..
(loaded it in VemsTune test release 2010-02-05)

A lot of other settings may  lack proper defaults. You should make sure to disable all the output channels that are marked "INVALID".
You can use another vemscfg or vemslog from 1.1.6x firmware and drag'n'drop to each window where you want to correct the settings. Only the settings in the particular window will be changed.