Author Topic: Log viewer survey  (Read 15698 times)

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
Log viewer survey
« on: December 02, 2010, 10:59:00 pm »
It seems many are using MegaLogViewer, it is a very nice log viewer and has a VE tune capability that works well.
I'd like to push the developers in the right direction and get what you guys need integrated into VemsTune.

What is missing from VemsTune that makes you want to use MegaLogViewer?

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
Re: Log viewer survey
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 08:33:23 am »
OK good thread! Thanks, Mattias!
It will be long way to go for reach such target.
MLV has very easy migrating trough log. With mouse you can get centred exactly that pixel you click on. And it works with no delay. (keep graph centred should be selected)

Values at cursor crossing is at cursor not disperced over all screen. Your knew where to look intuitively.

Zooming (up/down arrows) works efficiently. Together with mouse and pageup/down (shift full screen on right or left) it makes migration even through long log very easy.

MLV is super fast in migration. VT has some lag. And it do not allow to scroll smoothly. VT each time redraw when mouse button is released. I mean using scrollbar.

Easy (i mean fast) finding of maximal or minimal values.

Minimal/maximal values is visible on side of screen.

Easy (i mean fast) selection of desired graph.

Immediate average calculations in selected area of screen.

Screen area for graphs are larger.

Each graph is automatically maximized in vertical direction: lowest and highest values are on bottom and top. Can be configured.

Possibility of calculated channels. e.g.it is possible to divide gpsspeed/rpm. Or scale TPS from % to raw. Or calculate AFR from lambda. And so on.

Representation of working point in tables.

VT has some video problem what makes it unreadable.
Here is two screenshots of same datalog:
http://www.vems.hu/files/GintsK/VT_logscreen01.png
http://www.vems.hu/files/GintsK/MLV_screen.png

Mouse clicking over graph should do somewhat exact graph related, but not open general menus!

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:40:49 am by GintsK »

Offline lugnuts

• BHP: 2
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 03:20:58 pm »
Great post!

Log Viewer Wish List:
1) Make "log viewer" easy to access and visible on the main screen (Create a box to click next to "Main" box, Shift-8 is hard to remember) Also see "Bugs" section below.
1) Create custom channel names (Example: Change "Analog1" to "Oil Pressure")
2) Apply math formulas to channels (Example: Convert voltage in MLV to Bar, PSI, MPH, Degrees F, etc.)
3) "Cursor stay in center" mode (I propose toggle using the "C" Key)
4) "Compare to" mode (overlay a log over another) - also have a quick on/off key for this (I propose "Insert" key to add/remove 2nd log) and also have a way to move 2nd graph forward and back easily.
5) Improve speed (VemsTune viewer navigation is inconsistent and often slower than MLV with the same PC)
6) "Time Re-set Mode" - allow time line to be set at "0.0 sec" on cursor (I propose using the "T" Key)
(To start time at "0.000 sec on Drag Launch)
7) Easy/Quick way to change number of graphs (and change back) (example: from 4 to 3 graphs, or sometimes I like one big graph only)
8: Make easy way to Import/Export all of the Log Viewer Settings (so we can import to new VEMSTune every 2 weeks :)
9) Move channel values to right side of screen (out of the way) like in MLV.

Bugs / Strange Things
VemsTune General:
1) When opening a Config (offline), the Log Viewer appears (Why?)
2) When Gauges are displayed, and opening a Log, the log viewer is *NOT displayed (Why not?)
3) Analog channels can only display to "2550" arbitrary value? (Why not "5.00 Volts"?)
A: In the config, change the "Scale" to "250" and "Scale Multiplier" to "x2", this displays 5.00v as "500"

Log Viewer:
1) Cannot see "Time" (top right) when Background is set to Black
A: Right-click, "Theme Editor", change the "Text Color"

Questions:
How do I get rid of the gauge blocks on the left side of the log viewer screen?
A: Click on View Mode (turns to Edit Mode), right-click, remove
How do I go to "full screen" like Gints's log appears to do?
A: "Open Log File To Separated Frame"
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 02:06:14 pm by lugnuts »

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 05:47:25 pm »
He´s using the "review log in new window"

You can already apply math to channels, to represent new gauges (analog input calibration).

I made this setup yesteday, It alone made the log review screen easier to review

Suggestions

Math parser :

For a long while I have had MLV display new VE values for fuel tables based on lambda target, lambda, ego closed loop correction and air temp correction. This along with a math channel that displays Lambda error I can very quickly identify how far off the VE value is so this seeing problems with VE is just instant, and then apply the new VE value to the fuel table.

Offline lugnuts

• BHP: 2
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 02:31:48 pm »
I started editing my previous post with answers to the questions.

New questions:

1) How do I get rid of the white box around the Symbol Value? (value is seen perfectly anyway,
since it is the same color as graph line)

Wishes:
1) Separate Min/Max value limit settings for Graph Viewer (not connected to gauges on Main Screen)
1a) Min/Max value limits save in theme with all other settings

2) Make vertical list of all Log Channels AND Current Value on left or right side.(Autronic)
2a) Make log channels have same color as symbol/graph for quick identification
2b) Have asterisk * next to log channels that are graphed
2c) Make a simple mouse-click on log channel to select for graph (MLV)
** I propose "Left-click" to select/un-select channels, "Right-click" to edit graph min/max, color

Autronic Log Screen: **Scroll to the right for the list***

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 03:09:34 pm by lugnuts »

Offline boostd audi

• BHP: 9
    • vems.live
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 04:02:16 am »
so how many of these wishes were applied..
boost addict's Vems powered Audi VRT s2