Author Topic: Datalogging  (Read 23803 times)

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
Datalogging
« on: October 19, 2010, 02:29:36 pm »
Always datalog!
There is no excuse, it doesn't take up much space and you can remove the files later. If something goes wrong you will want to be able to analyse the datalog later.

VemsTune

Click the "LOG" icon, a green highlight indicates that datalogging is on, in the picutere it's red to mean it's off. To stop datalogging, press the icon and it will turn from green to red.

You can press Alt-L to start a new datalog, every time you press it a new log is started. The datalogs ends up wherever you decided to put the project files, by default these are under My Documents\VEMS_Files in the directory corresponding to your ECU (name with serial number at the end).

The datalogs can be analysed in the built-in log viewer which is accessed through the shortcut key Shift+8. You can also use open the datalog in another frame, see the File menu, which is better for live tuning because you can then keep the ECU online and make live changes while alternating (Alt-Tab) between the main window and the log viewer window.

While the ECU is still online, you always have a live datalog buffer which contains all that's happened since the ECU came online last. Access this through Shift+8, do note the state icon of the ECU next to the "Log" icon.

While still under development, you can use the "VE tune by statistics" function available in the Tools menu to optimize your VE table. If you do this with a datalog while offline, you have to save the config  and later import the VE table (either through drag'n'drop, or right click the table -> import).

MegaTune
If you're still using MegaTune then you can start and stop datalogging in the menu :
File->Datalogging->Record to start a log and  File->Datalogging->Off top stop.

If you're clever you'll figure out you can press Alt-L  to start the datalog, and when you are datalogging and want to stop - just press it again and instead of starting on a new log file, press the Esc key to exit the dialog and stop the datalogging. This method of using shortcut keys is much faster, especially if you're live tuning in a car, using a  touchpad trying to use the pointer to navigate the menus is a waste of time.

You can put the datalogs wherever you want, the dialog that comes up when you choose Record (or press Alt-L) will ask you where to put the file, the location is up to you.

The best tool to analyse logs created with MegaTune is aptly named  MegaLogViewer and can be downloaded from here :
http://www.ideasandsolutions.biz/MegaLogViewer/

If you save the config from your ECU using MegaTune (menu File->Save as..) you can load this in MegaLogViewer to view the tables (VE, lambda, spark) and optimize the VE table using the log data.

Offline Cornelius

• BHP: 0
Re: Datalogging
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 08:38:42 am »
There is a bug in vemstune exported msq file. Megalogviewer can only see lamda table. ??? Any ideas how to fix it? Megatune msq file works fine..

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 10:02:12 pm »
Why use megalogviewer?

There is a very nice and comprehensive viewer in VEMSTune which allows you to log some channels that VEMStune doesn´t even export anyway but calculates based on the map and values in the log.

Everything megalogviewer can do for you is already being done in VEMSTune

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 06:24:44 am »
Cornelius, you can try old pre v3 versions of MLV.

Gunny, VT logviewer is lumpish even on very fast machines, graphics are still bad (try black background). It is not so handy: almost any operation require at least twice more mouse manipulations, MLV offers nice simple and fast navigation features. And Tune by statistics do not give same consistent result as MLV. Very few things are solved since discussions about this. Sadly but fact.

Gints
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 08:13:43 am by GintsK »

Offline gunni

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 08:38:22 pm »

I´m not having any problems with Vemstune at all. Sure it could be faster or even live streaming channels in the log view.
But when I have setup the views for my liking I never have to adjust them.

I´m wanting them to convert the views into workbooks so they can be transferred between machines and between versions.

Offline GintsK

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 09:30:25 pm »
Gunni, didn't you tried "Import settings" under tools? It worked nicely for my layouts. But I did not checked the logviewer part.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 06:30:24 am by GintsK »

Offline gunni

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 06:42:44 pm »
I have but it never covers everything, Vemstune even has a habit of forgetting some settings that I have made.

This is why I´m wanting that all configurations are able to be put into a single file and opened by another Vemstune and it´ll be the same there.
I create loads of log view layouts so I can analyze many different things at the same time without having to many channels on the screen, usually no more then 16 channels in all per view.

Boost, Lambda, Individual power, VE calcs, Ego and other such calcs.

Offline Joof

• BHP: 2
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 11:47:41 pm »
I realize this is old, but if anyone wants to use mlv Philip created a beta version that properly interprets recent vemstune msq's.  It works like a charm.  Maybe he has incorporated this into the new release but if not look for the beta page on his website.   If the most recent version doesn't work and you can't find the beta page on his site Let me know and I will try to dig up the link.

Offline GintsK

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 07:10:03 am »
Thanks for sharing this. Seems import works.

But if you are in contact with Phil - may be you can ask him to solve two terrible things:

Drop-down menus where we chose desired graph: it is way too short! In old versions mlv showed channel names all across the screen height. Now just 8 channels. And searching for exact one now is terrible! Also colour changing could be more handy - colour box is already here - click on it and chose desired colour would be perfect.

File open dialogue - it lost "memory". It did not memorize size, view and sorting. In old versions we can choose our desired view, sorting and close dialogue while Ctrl key pushed. Next time it opens in same shape. E.g. my setup always showed last log file on the top.

But yes: nice piece of software!

Gints

Offline fphil

• BHP: 6
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 09:40:10 am »
Philip created a beta version that properly interprets recent vemstune msq's.
mlv 3.26.7 does seem to read .msq files. Which version do you say Joof?

Offline Joof

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 08:38:26 pm »
fphil ---
When I was emailing with him he sent me a link to a beta version that he complied to check correct interpretation as it was not properly loading the 'tune' file...I presume after I gave him the OK he must've rolled it back?  Are you saying it properly interprets the vemstune exported msq?

GintsK --- I am not in contact with him but he was quite responsive when I emailed him.  I'm not so sure I understand your complaint but he seems more than willing to constantly improve the software so I would say give him an email and see what he says!

Offline fphil

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 02:36:07 pm »
" Are you saying it properly interprets the vemstune exported msq?"
I am saying that the open option of the file menu of v3.27.7 (or v3.3.2) does not allow to open files with the .msq extension.

Offline Joof

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 02:13:36 am »
" Are you saying it properly interprets the vemstune exported msq?"
I am saying that the open option of the file menu of v3.27.7 (or v3.3.2) does not allow to open files with the .msq extension.

Ahh,

First convert the VEMSlog to csv (can be done in VEMSTune) and then open the csv in MLV.  Once the log is opened on the right hand side there is an open tune file button which is where you can load the msq.

Hope that helps.

Offline fphil

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 09:20:16 am »
thanks, I got it!