Author Topic: Surface mount Soldering  (Read 4732 times)

Offline Sprockets

• BHP: 5
Surface mount Soldering
« on: May 01, 2007, 10:07:35 am »
Hi guys.

Quick question, one of my units has 2 blown chips.  The normal 259 problem (was my fault entirely, hot swapping the connectors with the ignition still on!) and i'm not sure how, but the MCP3208 has an entire section blown out of it!!!!  The 3208 was very carefully removed with a high speed engraving tool, so the legs are still on the board, and the 259, i just cut through the power leg.

The big question here, is who has the required skills to do a good job of replacing these.  I don't have a nice enough soldering iron kit to attempt it!!

Cheers :)

-Gavin

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: Surface mount Soldering
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 11:00:06 am »
I dont have the required kit, but I manage it!

Something to do with 30years of soldering experience! ;)

I can do non-waranty repairs of this nature.

Rob

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 11:08:00 am »
If the lab wasn't being refurbished here, I'd say that I could manage as I have access to the right tools, even if I have only about half of Rob's soldering experience ;)  Lab due to open by the middle of next month.

Offline Sprockets

• BHP: 5
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 11:21:41 am »
Nice one Rob!  Will phone you up later on in the week to arrange something then.  I don't really want to use a nice VEMS unit to practice my technique on!  ;D

On a random note, the BMW was meant to go on the dyno the other week, but the operator had a family emergency and not got round to rebooking.  It will get done sometime......even tho we already want to sell it and try something different!  it was only meant to be a test bed, it kinda escalated!

-Gavin

Offline Agriv8

• BHP: 4
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 12:24:33 pm »
I know the feeling about things getting out of hand.

My VEMS project started because I wanted a carbon Fibre Intake Plenum for the Rover V8 ( to remove a heat soak source - and possibly because it looked good too ::).

The seller  decided that 4 Carburetors would do instead ( is swearing allowed on this forum  ? ;) ;) ) and thus selling up his ammased box of bits. So after it sitting on the shelf for 9 months it seemed like a nice little project to see me over the cold winter months. Only regret - Not switching to 'Total engine Management by VEMS' sooner.

Ps if you ever come across a BMW getrag dogleg with removable bellhousing for reasnoble money let me know. I think i might need to be looking out for a spare  ;D due to the increased power of the v8  ;D

Regards

Agriv8

'The older I get the faster I was'