Author Topic: Mercedes 190E 2.3-16  (Read 18774 times)

Offline AMGmercedes

• BHP: 1
Re: Mercedes 190E 2.3-16
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 04:46:02 pm »
Here are the WB02 specs as supplied when I purchased VEMS:

Board_version=v3.3
pump-= 4.0V
wbo2_pump_pw_zero=0x64
wbo2_nernstdc_target=0x86
pump+= +2.1mV/200 Ohm
AREF=4.9V
(C103=1nF, no D100)

I've updated the firmware a few times and got stuck in bootloader mode a few times as well requiring a hard restart, would these settings have survived? Is there some way to check what the current settings are through VT? Are they needed anymore, or is it handled differently in VT now?

Are Phatbob's WB02 calibration and setup instructions still valid? Can I calibrate it with that method running 1.1.70 FW?

Getting the WB02 calibrated/working is the last hurtle to cross!

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 10:56:40 pm »
In the  ECU calibrations dialog :

wbo2_pump_pw_zero=0x64  = 100
wbo2_nernstdc_target=0x86  = 134

Offline andreNL

• BHP: 8
    • My Wiki membersPage
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 12:15:14 am »
http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=GenBoard%2FManual%2FWideBandHardwareTest
Try this, cheers andré
Ps do this at sensor connector not the ecu,
Because you know also your wiring is ok.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:17:29 am by andreNL »

Offline AMGmercedes

• BHP: 1
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 04:45:46 am »
Thanks guys!! Turns out that 255 was in both the pump zero and nernst figure windows! Silly I'm sure to the more experienced! So, for others who may read this at some point, all the WB02 settings are not in the WB02 window, the two critical ones are in the ecu calibration window.

Now on to getting it running well! I've managed to set up the idle pretty well at this point, its steady, MAP values in the low 30's, and the lambda is good. What a difference having the WB02 makes!

I've set the req fuel (9.8 : D=2,300cc, N= 4 cyl, I=380cc/min), the lambda target table, and the spark table. Both of these tables were adapted from someone with the same car/similar motor running VEMS, but using 1.0.73. Should be a pretty good starting point.

As I understand it, having the above items set, now I start tuning to the desired lambda only increasing the fuel via the values in the VE table. At idle the values are around 80, and at 2k rpm with no load it seems to need around 110 in the fields to have around the proper lambda (injector pulse width is around 3.5 or so I think). Is this the proper way to go? So if I need 160 or 220 in the fields for the proper lambda it doesn't matter as that's what's required, or should I change something so that the VE values stay under 100? 

The one main reference I'm using is Mattias' config, and his VE table doesn't go above 94, and it's mostly in the 60-80 range. Just making sure I'm not going about things incorrectly.

Also in the injector settings dialog, what is recommended for the "effective rampup" and "voltage compensation" during tuning and after? How are they adjusted and what is the procedure? I can hear the sound of my motor change slightly at idle if I change the rampup values, but it doesn't seem to effect the lambda or rpm noticeably.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 04:58:02 am by AMGmercedes »

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 02:21:34 pm »
The WBO2 settings dialog is just for the software PID control, and is general settings that work with any ECU and sensor.
All three WBO2 calibration values, not just the two mentioned but for the sensor too, are in the ECU calibrations dialog.

The engine in my config is a 2 valve/cyl engine with poor head flow and aggressive cams compared to your "formula 1" engine - this is why you see much higher VE values in your config, and a much flatter map as well since you don't loose as much VE at low rpm and idle.  You also have to consider that I might have underrated my injector flow, and you might have overrated yours. Fuel pressure and actual measured flow will be factors that affect the value of the calculated req fuel.

Use the values from my config for the injector settings, you might use 0 for the effective rampup actually.  It's a lot more complicated than it seems but really works good enough with these settings, read the "F1 for help" text in the dialog.  I'm not the only one that wish for a better scheme for the injector opening/closing, it might be one of the firmware updates the coming year. With larger injectors, this stuff gets more critical if you want to get the idle and low load sorted out.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:02:55 pm by mattias »

Offline SamSpade

• BHP: 5
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 03:12:01 am »
Nice project!

Do you have photos of the modified Saab fuel rail and intake plenum? A couple friends are also interested in converting their 2.3-16 to EFI.