Author Topic: "Short" VAG coils don't want to fire..  (Read 1254 times)

Offline ScareMercy

• BHP: 0
"Short" VAG coils don't want to fire..
« on: June 28, 2022, 12:13:09 pm »
Hello,

I've tried getting my "Short" VAG COP's to fire since a couple of weeks, unfortunately without any luck. All 4 COP's are brand new, they're BERU ZSE030 coils.

So far I've tried the logic level outputs and stepper outputs, checked the pinout knowing it is differtent than the longer VAG COP's (Pin 1 and pin 2: ground on cylinder head, Pin 3: 12V,
Pin 4: Signal from VEMS). I've tried testing the configuration using a LED; the LED blinks briefly. I've also tried supplying 12V to the signal wire of the coil for a short moment; the coil fires on release.

So far so good, except that the coils won't fire in test mode or while cranking the engine.... I've tried contacting my VEMS supplier and have gone through the whole setup again, but still no spark.

Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction? I've been at it for 3 weeks now and am completely lost in what to do now.

Offline ScareMercy

• BHP: 0
Re: "Short" VAG coils don't want to fire..
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 09:09:46 am »
I've tried a new Audi R8 coil yesterday to see if it makes a difference but that one also doesn't fire.
However, upon measuring the voltage on the signal wire during rest it reads 0,55V while it should be a ground. Is this voltage too high for the coil to reset itself?