General Category > General Discussion

A P259 spoiled my install

(1/4) > >>

[email protected]:
I'm trying to garner an idea of numbers of people who've blown the P259 chip during an install.
Hopefully we can find a way of getting people the information regarding how to avoid it before it happens.

tom70:
Mine worked for a good 12months before it decided to give up. It gave up on the return of a shopping trip, I didn't made any modification to the VEMs or car prior to the destruction of P259.

Sprocket:
I have done it twice, first time I have no idea how, but second time I blatently disregarded the grounding rules and smoked it, no ones fault but mine ;D

lugnuts:
I haven't had a P259 fail yet, for an unknown reason.

But I have heard it is weak, so I only use it for the Tachometer now.
I use Stepper, Inj, or Ign to drive the fuel pump relay, so I don't get a call from
someone sitting on the the side of the road.

------------------------
I had one car that had a few channels of the P259 and Inj Fets fail. I did a full re-wire of the harness, re-did the grounds twice, went from low_z injectors with resistors to high_z injectors, still had problems.

The car ran properly for a few weeks..... then the owner replaced his coil wire, and the car started misfiring again.

I asked what kind of coil wire it was, and found that it was solid core (BIG No-No-).
It turns out - that the 4 idnition leads were solid core the entire time.

Got a new set of OEM wires, and all of the misfires and problems disappeared.
--------------------------
I had an ECU that was in service for 6 months, blow out the Stepper Chip while bench testing it controlling a relay.  No reason was found. The ECU still works in a non-stepper application.
---------------------------

My second ever VEMS Install,  the ecu would lock open the injectors and fuel pump randomly during start-up.
Once a day, once a week, no rhyme or reason.
I was using an FJO injector driver, and logging my Autronic WB 0-5v into the analog channel.
I removed both of those items, and the ecu has been in service ever since (2 years)

----------------------------
I have had 3 cars, that have had injector fets fail for absolutely no reason. Flyback was connected, grounds were solid, EC26 was connected to GND5, etc. Two of them were with 12 ohm injectors, one was with 5 ohn injectors. I lost many potential customers over these failures.

mattias:
I've spoiled a couple of installs from the P259 killing itself, but that was years ago. So it never spoils an install for me any longer because I never use it. I always change the v3 harness to use free IGBT outputs instead.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version