Author Topic: Bootloader/dead box?  (Read 21137 times)

Offline bart

• BHP: 1
Re: Bootloader/dead box?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 09:06:29 pm »
Hi Mattias!
I have the 60-2, the same one as Fredde on his spq, the one thats mounted between the flywheel & the block on the crank.

these are the fault codes I get when the engine is running:
Sec. tr. pos. bad
Too many pr. trig

I saw that the min/max angles you mentioned were set to 359/359, so I changed min to 0. The Afterstart turns on & off, BUT this may be a result of the triggering error I have. I get spark cuts now & then and the indication (when earlier checked at a local company) that my primary trigger looses signal & the rev indication drops down to cranking revs (below 299rpm)& this seems to make the car enter cranking settings making the car jump between 30 & 9 degrees every time I get the spark cut.
In other words, it seems as if i loose the primiray trigger signal for some reason & this causes the erratic behavior with the spark, but I can not run the analysis of the triggers. Right now I am waiting to check everything with an oscilloscope to figure out where the fault might be....
As I asked earlier, why cant I get the alaysis of triggers to function??

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 11:03:03 pm »
It should work out ok for you.. Just to make sure, install VemsTune 2010-10-01 (most recent today) which I used yesterday to successfully make a triggerlog with the same trigger setup that you have.
http://www.vems.hu/download/VemsTune/

You may find that you should change the trigger edge of the secondary trigger to offset it a bit, because it must never occur at the missing teeth of the primary trigger. Here you see a valid position for the cam sync (secondary trigger) from yesterday:
(Audi S2, 3B engine with 60-2 Hall sensor + stock cam sync in distributor )

Offline bart

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 08:58:49 am »
ok, domnloaded the latest version & will install right away!
Ok, now I at least know how the log should look  ;) I will make a try myself & update here later during the day!

Offline bart

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 10:40:21 am »
Ofcourse nothing should be easy, so why should it work this time....nope, I had to do the procedure all over again with bootloader & terminal & firmware upload just as Jörgen mentioned earlier.....booring! At least now I know how to!

Well, here is my trigger log, nice isn´t it  ;)

maybe you guys can see the missing spark i get now & then, other then that I can´t see that my secondary trigger should be causing any problems, right?!
So, i need to figure out why i get these misfires. You notice them much better the hotter the engine gets since the revs get lower. At start I got about 1250 & @ warm engine about 900. SO yes, the lower the revs get the harder it is for the engine to stay alive when misfiring.
Is there any way I can analyze what is wrong with a trigger or must I wait for my friend to bring his oscilloscope?

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 10:57:55 am »
Why did you have to do the procedure with the "bootloader & terminal & firmware upload" again ?
You already had 1.1.81 firmware uploaded to the ECU, right? Why upload again ?

What follows has nothing to do with why you created the thread in the first place, but we can continue to discuss..

Make the triggerlog at cranking rpm (~ 200 rpm). Press WOT to use flood clear to disable the injectors, and then crank the engine 4-5 seconds.
If you make it at idle (1000 rpm) then the tooth frequency is too high,  communication speed to the tuning laptop/computer is too low to handle it, and data will be missed. VemsTune should tell you this is happening, but it doesn't - maybe in the future.

In case you did make the triggerlog while cranking the engine, from what I can see, at times you have a total lack of signal from the primary trigger. No need for an oscilloscope to tell you that.
Is the sensor of Hall or VR type ?

If Hall, what voltage source do you feed  the sensor?
Which pin on the ECU? You should use EC36-pin28 (not 29 which is TPS only).

Offline bart

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 04:21:13 am »
 ??? I have no clue why...maybe i screwed something up while updating to the newer version of Vemstune, but everything workes so far & I got more practice doing it  ;)

Mattias, I´m away working now for 2 more weeks so I will give you an update on your questions as soon as I get home. I can at least answer the following.
the trigger log was made during idle speed. I will perorm another one during cranking.
The trigger is of a HALL type, the same one Fredde has on his spq, if you know which one I am referring to?! The sensor is connected to a separate pin, not the one used for the TPS.
Before unbolting my gearbox & clutch I just want to be sure I do not have any problems with the cables or any distortion of any other kind, therefor the use of an oscilloscope.

Have a nice week  :)

Offline tweak

• BHP: 3
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 12:11:36 am »
Regards goes to Jorgen from me as well. Had to use his procedure when upgrading the box, and out of the blue just totally crashed.

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 10:28:51 am »
Jorgens method is more direct than VEMSTUNE.  If things go bad with this method, then just serial adapter or board can be the reason (if board supply is OK).

In such cases I tried 4 combinations with -wE, -wtE and board in usual and in boot mode. And different USB adapter.
Beware any signals in trigger inputs. FW changing is not possible with trigger impulses.

Offline tweak

• BHP: 3
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 11:33:43 am »
So you need to disconnect the triggers as well? No where i could read this until now.
Never the less, in the end it was successfully upgraded with the trigger cables connected.
I always use direct serialport, i dont trust USB converters..

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 02:07:49 pm »
Real signals, not wires. It is built-in protection.

Sometimes things goes bad with native serials ports too.