Author Topic: 1991 Audi 200 20v Quattro  (Read 15292 times)

Offline amd is the best

• BHP: 1
1991 Audi 200 20v Quattro
« on: March 13, 2011, 06:17:12 pm »
Figured I'd share on here, this is basically a build thread from the begining of ownership of my '91 200q:

Pics from previous owner prior to me picking it up (9/18/2009):

The first task was the brakes.  Pads were metal on metal and UFO rotors were completly shot.  Literally paper thin.  Finding these parts is not easy!  None of the local parts store could even come close to getting me something useful.  So, here were my options...german auto parts coming in to $650 or the dealer at nearly $750 or what I ended up doing....

So, I had recently upgraded my B5 S4's brakes up to a Brembo big brake kit and had the stock rotors and calipers laying around.  Hmm, free brakes I though...  So on to the task I went.

I pulled off all of the UFO junk and got the car down the just the hub/spindles and went to test fit my S4's rotor on the 200's hub...no go.  The outside diameter of the 200's hub was ~half an inch larger.  Damn!  So, being that my father is a macheinst we pulled out the wheel bearing housings, pushed out the hubs and went to town on the hubs with the lathe.  Knocked a half inch off of them and the B5 S4's rotors fit like a glove.

Before:

Durring:

After:

On to the calipers.  I pushed the hubs back in with some new bearings and when on to fitting the calipers.  I bolted the rotor to the hub and placed the S4 caliper over the rotor.  I couldn't believe my eyes!  Two of the three holes in the spindle lined up perfect with the S4 caliper!  The stock caliper uses M12 bolts and the S4 caliper uses M14's so we punched out the holes in the housing to 14mm.  The third boss (hole) was in the way so we proceeded to cut that off to make room for the big new calipers.  The stock S4 caliper to housing bolts were approx 5mm too long so we modified them cutting them down to size.  So, now the S4 rotor and caliper fit hapily on the 200's bearing housing!

Housing mods:

As far as brake lines go, all of the stock S4 brake lines were used and were perfect length.  I put the S4's drivers side caliper on the pass side of the 200 and the pass side on the 200's driver side.  This was because the calipers sit toward the back of the car on the S4 where as they are in the front of the wheel on the 200.  This keeps the bleeders pointing up so that air rises.

One the car:

The cars:

The car stops AMAZING!  It is truly ridiculous how well the brakes perform on the car.  Also, brakes pads and rotors can be purchased almost anywhere.  Only downside is that I have to have pretty 17" wheels or larger on the car at all times ;).

I hope all of this nonsense makes sense and I will have pics up shortly.

Pics from H2Oi Car Show in Ocean City, MD 2009:

Interior shot:

Had to take some new photos with the 200 sporting it's new rear mud flaps :)

Pic of S2 steering wheel installed:

Most of the new parts:

Better shot of the S2 wheel:

So that's why it stopped moving??

Dead motor mount:

Flywheel's resurfaced:

Engine before cleansing:

New timing treats installed:

Timing all buttoned up and significantly more clean!:

Still more cleansing to do but MUCH better:

Thanks to Ron @Rhino Racing making custom tools and parts since 2007!

Slide hammer to remove timing idler and crank pulley lock tool:

Machining the crank lock too:

Also...ordered a turbo and some other nonsense! :ninja

'10 VW TDI
'01 Audi S4
'91 Audi 200 20v (VEMS vehicle)

Offline amd is the best

Re: 1991 Audi 200 20v Quattro
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 06:23:53 pm »
Cleaned the intake manifold like crazy and wrapped the downpipe:

More progress!

Brackets, alternator and a/c compressor back on:

New transmission in:

New clutch (ClutchNet red PP and 6 puck sprung hub):

New injectors (Siemens Deka 870cc @ 3bar):

Installed in the rail:

In the manifold looking very pretty:

Difference between the 016 (200 trans) and 01E (S4 trans) (pic is for fun, 01E will be going in IF the 016 breaks again):

A few more pics of the done (for now) engine bay:

The stable:

'10 VW TDI
'01 Audi S4

Offline AVP

• BHP: 11
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 07:11:38 pm »
very nice photos!

that exhaust manifold is going to be restrictive though. better get the EVO wagner one!

Offline amd is the best

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 07:20:14 pm »
The manifold is only temporary.  I plan on having an equal length manifold built when funds allow.
'10 VW TDI
'01 Audi S4

Offline AVP

• BHP: 11
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 07:22:13 pm »
i didnt use a SS manifold to avoid cracks, and induce longevity. Currently im using a SQ manifold which will replaced in the future with the wagner SQ. I think both are more than enough for this turbo!

Offline amd is the best

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 08:19:23 pm »
I'd love the wagner, it's just far too expensive considering I can have a manifold built for less.
'10 VW TDI
'01 Audi S4