Author Topic: Logging "knocknoise" and "knockvalue"  (Read 5422 times)

Offline Kenny Watson

• BHP: 3
Logging "knocknoise" and "knockvalue"
« on: June 08, 2011, 09:12:47 am »
I added entires for these into my vemstune ini file in order to log knock sensor data. This is Firmware 1.1.92.

I get a logged value for noise but not for value.

I noticed that in the "OUTPUTS" section of the ini, the knock noise is retreived like this:

knock_cyl_0_noise_val=scalar, U16, 43, "",   1.000, 0.000

But the knock value is like this:knock_cyl_0_knock_val=scalar, U8, 41, "",   256.000, 0.000

Notice the "U8" (instead of U08 or U16 like everything else), also the "256, 0.000" at the end.

This changed around FW 1.1.83

Before then, it was formatted like the noise reading - "knock_cyl_0_knock_val=scalar, U16, 41, "",   1.000, 0.000"

Any idea why this was changed? I think I will try changing it back to the old way (same as the knock nise value, since I get a reading for it, after all) and see if I get something. I get reasonable values for noise it seems. High 80's at low rpm, up to around 100 with higher revs.

I'm not really trying to get any knock code or ignition control to work, i just want to see the value so I can use it in conjunciton with my det cans.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:14:38 am by Kenny Watson »

Offline Kenny Watson

Re: Logging "knocknoise" and "knockvalue"
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 09:56:22 pm »
I guess either nobody knows, or nobody is telling. hahaha

This is wierd -

I get reasonable values for knock noise, and it changes if I change the sampling settings.
I get always zero for Knock value
I get always zero for Knock diff

BUT!

I get knock adjust, and I get it at reasonable times.

It's like it's all working in the ECU itself, but some of the values are not reported back to my laptop correctly/at all.

It'd be a lot easier to adjust if I could actually see the knock diff/knock value. lol

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 11:47:45 pm »
I am having the same issue as you.  Not had chance to investigate it thoroughly yet, but weird things seem to be happening with reporting of knock.  I am sure it used to work in 1.1.7x because I remember plotting charts some knock noise using the data.  I heard the knock with det cans and sure enough it was logged.

Offline Kenny Watson

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 08:07:56 am »
Have you tried 1.1.93?

I think I will try it this weekend.  :)

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 10:57:04 pm »
Not tried anything for the past couple of weeks.  I haven't finished installing the electric PAS yet. :(