Author Topic: VemsTune for Android ?  (Read 149021 times)

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: VemsTune for Android ?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 09:49:21 am »
With the AiM protocol you have the data that AiM specify which was designed for their LCD Dashboards.  Do don't think that there was much provision for more data to be carried as the protocol dictates a time sliced set of events with specific data entries available for each time slice, and each time slice was pretty full.

Offline uzelac

• BHP: 4
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 05:37:53 pm »
What about another version:

http://www.vems.hu/download/android/VemsDisplay-2011-09-29.apk

Serial2Bluetooth ?
How can wireless be used with VEMS ?
N/A 4AGE 16V - 180hp@8000rpm - work in progress :)

Offline billman

• BHP: 2
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 09:12:02 am »
I was thinking that maybe it would be possible with RS232->USB and after that USB->Bluetooth.

Can someone confirm if that would work and also if it is fater than the LCD display most of us use. It would make sense only if it is faster.

Offline andreNL

• BHP: 8
    • My Wiki membersPage
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 08:30:01 am »
Android is a Linux version? Cant VT-Linux be compiled to run under android?
So a tablet can be used running VT kinda cool i think    ;D

Offline DButters

• BHP: 2
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 06:54:18 pm »
I tried to test this using a serial port replicator program like this:

- Vems -> PC Serial Port -> Replicator software IP:Port <- Wifi <- Android Phone

I managed to Get a 'Connected to IP:Port' message, but then a 'No AiM Detected' message always appears.

I was enabling aim by setting to enable in Vemstune Display Settings, then selecting yes when asked to enable AiM when closing Vemstune. Maybe I should enable AiM another way?

Next step is to log data through the port replicator and see. Could be a handy way to test with no extra hardware, though I have some bluetooth to serial adapters coming!

Offline paul_f

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 07:45:42 am »
Did anyone get this working?

Offline paul_f

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 05:57:36 pm »
Well using a bluetooth dongle on my work laptop and bray terminal I managed to connect via SPP and send some data which VemsDisplay worked with, so I am going to get a LM048 RS232 to bluetooth adaptor and give it a go.

I reckon I can also use it with my tuning laptop as it has bluetooth built in instead of having a long serial lead running from the ECU to the driving seat (engine in the back of a camper!)

Cheers
Paul

Offline uzelac

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 10:18:51 pm »
Why not use this cheapo BT-RS232 which sell from 10-20 USD with shipping?
I see they need 3.3V supply and as far as i get it can be integrated in VEMS so VEMS is accessable via Bluetooth from Android or PC.
Or i got something wrong :)

Offline paul_f

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2011, 07:18:58 am »
Good idea, I have bought one of these cheap ones as it is from a UK seller http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260892777517

The only problem is that you have to change the baud rate using a serial lead, you can't do it via bluetooth.

Something like the Roving Networks RN42 would be better as it can be configured over bluetooth and then reset.  However with a socket module it is about £30

Offline uzelac

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2011, 10:59:22 am »
How does it work on 9600 ?

Offline paul_f

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2011, 11:28:53 am »
I ran the USB bluetooth dongle SPP connection at 19200 using terminal and sending the single data line of $01$A3$05$05$AE to the Android phone

Offline jeanno

• BHP: 0
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2011, 10:52:50 am »
Good idea, I have bought one of these cheap ones as it is from a UK seller http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260892777517

The only problem is that you have to change the baud rate using a serial lead, you can't do it via bluetooth.

Don't you have to use a serial converter CI like MAX232 to use this type of module with genboard ?
Project : Peugeot 106 Xsi 1992
Member page : http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=MembersPage%2FJeanno
Engine is a tuned 1.6 litre 4 cyl / 8 valves (TU5J2) with 220 cc/min injectors fired individually+ wasted spark

Offline paul_f

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 03:38:53 pm »

Don't you have to use a serial converter CI like MAX232 to use this type of module with genboard ?

Thanks for pointing that I'd otherwise I would have had a broken device by this time tomorrow!
 I'll have to make a max232 circuit up at lunch tomorrow, hopefully we still have them in the electronics lab at work!

Had I bought a device that could be configured via bluetooth I could have fitted inside the VEMS directly onto the ISP connector.

Once I have tried with this one externally I will then buy one of the RN42 ones as these seem to be used quite a lot by the Arduino community and they can be configured over bluetooth so there is a small possibility I could use it for Vemstune as well

Offline paul_f

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 10:28:01 pm »
Got it working this evening ;D

Upgraded my Vems to 1.1.95 from 1.1.74 at the same time.

Initally I got nothing, but when using the serial port on the PC with terminal VEMS was sending AIM data. 

When the USB serial was connected to the bluetooth module I could also communicate.

Then swapped the TX and RX cables to the MAX232 interface and it worked.  Not tried it with the engine running yet but the pedal seemed to track smoothly.

If you are looking for an android bluetooth serial terminal then the only one that I found to work was one called SENA Bterm - it works pretty well

Offline DevInAz

• BHP: 7
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 08:17:30 am »
I have an HP touchpad that i've loaded Android onto. It would be great if I could connect this to the VEMS in my car. I'm going to look into getting the bluetooth adapter you recommended and start working on this.