Author Topic: 4.2 ABZ V8 - powered Audi B4 quattro  (Read 20602 times)

Offline smurfinator

• BHP: -20
4.2 ABZ V8 - powered Audi B4 quattro
« on: July 15, 2007, 09:44:59 pm »
*update* 7 February 2017

The Smurfinator is gradually coming back together in a far more robust and sustainable fashion.  OEM B5 S4 clutch, slightly heavier flywheel, quieter exhaust, bigger radiator, better arrangement of sensors and wiring, bracketry, etc.  Thanks to all the members for all the help!

One thing that stinks about the B4 is that you cant really fit 18x8 wheels and keep 45 sidewall :\

http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=MembersPage%2FBenNesbitt
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 02:42:50 pm by smurfinator »
Audi ABZ 4.2 V8 in 1993 90 quattro
TTV 60-2 flywheel and cam sync
firmware: 1.2.20

Smurf blue (BMW Laguna Seca), hence the name!

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
Re: 4.2 ABZ V8 - powered Audi B4 quattro
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 10:52:59 pm »
Sounds like you're having a good time and have made a good start to your project :D 

Are your MPG figures in US gallons?  I'd be interested in comparing notes since my Griffith with a 5 litre Rover does about 30 UK mpg on the motorway and 20 mpg round town and I've used similar lean burn idea to achieve this.  (All done on UK 95 RON, which is equivilant to US 91 PON isn't it?)

I like the idea of light and simple too. :D

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 01:20:47 am »
Isn't your octane rating done as (RON + MON)/2  (Meaning the tougher motor octane test gets included)  In the UK MON is largely ignored in specifying petrol for road use.

You can't beat toluene can you ;)  I use it in my turbo car.

Offline Jorgen

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 500
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 12:02:54 am »
Hi Ben, it's nice to see you here!

IIRC we had a todo list that looked something like this:

Upgrade firmware to recent stable version, currently 1.0.73 but we will hopefully have a 1.1.x firmware that is stable for use with 60-2 triggers soon as well.

Get idle control working, the biggest problem here is that we are out of high current outputs in this build. The Audi ABZ idle solenoid consumes a lot of current. I measured 4A when fully opening mine.

Get Tacho working, we tried to use the stepper last time but it seems like the early boxes didn't have the stepper chip installed. We need to go with the P259 outputs and a pullup instead then.

I have checked the milage on my type 85 80Q now and in US gallons I get 13-15MPG in the city on E85, this is with a mix of very mild 5th gear cruising (pulls smooth from 350rpm in fifth) and a number of WOT pulls every day.

Offline hilly

• BHP: 6
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 06:13:31 pm »
Get idle control working, the biggest problem here is that we are out of high current outputs in this build. The Audi ABZ idle solenoid consumes a lot of current. I measured 4A when fully opening mine.

Hmmmmmmm, that is interesting as my ABZ solenoid ( Bosch 0208 140 554) only draws 1A at 100%, which kinda makes sense as the coil is 13Ω.
I have been running it from a Stepper output with no problems as it never gets anywhere near 100% open .........

Hilly

Offline Jorgen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 05:34:52 pm »
I went and measured the idle solenoid on my spare 1998 ABZ and with the not so good DVM I had available and the readings was in the range you suggested. The one I have in my car is a 1995 ABZ which is a bit different. The coils and cam sync wheel is different and the idle motor could be different as well. I will measure it sometime.

Jörgen

Offline Jorgen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 11:54:24 pm »
I measured the solenoid in the car and the one on the spare engine again. I seem to have messed the numbers up over time. I did my own install several years ago even if I only started driving it recently. Both solenoids were between 8 and 10 ohm when compensating for the wires. This is measured with two cheap DVM's as someone has nicked the Fluke. Or I have simply misplaced it :(

So I guess that the Stepper will handle it after all, but I would have placed one of our 4.7ohm, 25/50W power resistors in series with it to limit the current a bit more if I was forced to use the stepper chip at higher duties.

Jörgen

Offline smurfinator

• BHP: -20
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 06:26:14 pm »
I have updated info up in my first post of this topic.. needing help :)
Audi ABZ 4.2 V8 in 1993 90 quattro
TTV 60-2 flywheel and cam sync
firmware: 1.2.20

Smurf blue (BMW Laguna Seca), hence the name!