Author Topic: 89 e30 - NVM50 turbo  (Read 27159 times)

Offline Joof

• BHP: 2
Re: 89 e30 - NVM50 turbo
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 07:48:58 pm »

Joof did you have trigger errors at low RPM levels? like around 1500 or so?  I really need to get a scope so I can measure all of this...

I never had an issue with trigger errors; honestly I've since reverted back to dual out, more reliable and full sync isn't really necessary on these (other than the cool factor I suppose?).  Until camsync can measure rotation/placement in cycle I don't see it being worth it but that's just me...Maybe something with your shield wire is causing sync to fall out?  (unlikely though).  Does the cam tooth "race" with the missing tooth off the primary trigger?

Offline DevInAz

• BHP: 7
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 08:20:49 pm »
It is very close to over lapping. I'll post a trigger log. Tell me what you think.

The reason I went with full seq is because the coils kept miss firing like they were being over heated. Its possible all the coils are just old and are failing but since I've setup the cam sync the misfire on boost is gone and the vehicle runs very smooth.

trigger log - https://www.box.com/s/b53c30ca8925f9af09a3

Offline Joof

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 11:54:03 pm »
I'm no professional, but 2 teeth before missing gap...maybe that is part of the problem.

What are your primary trigger settings? (ref tooth, etc?)

Offline DevInAz

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 08:40:37 am »
You have a good point.   Right now my TDC after trigger is set to 60 and my first trigger tooth is 0.

I'll try and change my first trigger tooth to 4 and adjust my TDC after trigger to 60. That should take care of it.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Offline PeepPaadam

• BHP: 8
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 10:16:30 am »
Why you have TDC after the trigger at 0 degrees? If you have stock BMW 60-2 trigger wheel then it should be 84 degrees BTDC when trigger tooth is set to 0 or 72 degrees if you have set the trigger tooth to 2 which is recommended as the trigger tooth is real tooth then not missing tooth.

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 08:07:07 am »
IMHO tooth #0 is first real tooth after missing.

Offline DevInAz

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 10:51:17 pm »
Why you have TDC after the trigger at 0 degrees? If you have stock BMW 60-2 trigger wheel then it should be 84 degrees BTDC when trigger tooth is set to 0 or 72 degrees if you have set the trigger tooth to 2 which is recommended as the trigger tooth is real tooth then not missing tooth.

I didn't realize I created a problem by doing this.  I don't have the car right now but I'll change it to 2nd tooth and set the base timing.

Thanks guys for the input!

Offline DevInAz

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 12:05:58 am »
Update on this project:

Old m50 engine was pulled out. S52 engine was installed back into the car with the matching transmission. MLS .140 head gasket with ARP studs were installed. The rest of the engine is stock for the time being. The turbo was replaced with a GT3582r.

Everything else was reused on the car. The car is now running pretty good except a few small problems. It has a extensive cranking delay before the engine will start. I've uploaded a few files to the sharing center here: http://vems.hu/vemstune/sharingcenter/reports.php?cmd=view&key=v102RO

Can someone take a look and see if there is something I can do to make the car start faster?

VEMS 3.6 now has firmware 1.2.6 loaded into it.

I'll upload some pictures.

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 12:50:51 am »
Hall effect cam sensor should be set to falling edge.

That S52 must haul pretty well in an E30.
I don´t see any outputs for the vanos, are you not using it?

Do you have a log of the car cranking over and starting? and a triggerlog of the same while ecu maintains connection to laptop?

Offline DevInAz

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 04:58:20 am »
When I set the cam to falling edge it doesn't run. I'll look into this.

Vanos isn't hooked up. I've run the wires but haven't plugged them in. I need to move the fuel pump relay to a P259 to free up a ignition driver. I'll do this in the next few days.

This little e30 is awesome to drive! Everything on the car works perfect too, like A/C which is needed in the summer.

I've never been able to get the laptop to stay connected when cranking. It always cuts out. I've never really looked into this.

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 07:49:10 am »
I can see from the log that your having problems with the cams position, i.e. it´s swapping between 300something degrees and sub 10deg, the ecu isn´t setup to understand that kind of behaviour.

I´d run it fully wasted spark.

It´s normal for the ecu to drop out as where it gets it´s power is kinda late in the line of supply from the battery.

Offline DevInAz

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 06:22:14 am »
I was thinking about the cam set as rising instead of falling. I'm going to try and change the cam sync to falling and move the coils in the same order just back three positions. i'll play with this in a few days and see what happens.

I'd rather not get rid of cam sync because I've had issues with these coils cutting out when they get warm.  I'll keep this in mind though if I can't figure out the long crank.  The car takes about 2.5 seconds of cranking for it to fire up but it runs perfect. I get zero trigger errors and it pulls nice and smooth

I won't worry about the computer cutting out at this point.

Offline DevInAz

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 03:47:10 am »
Well I tried a few things to fix the long crank but was unsuccessful.

I've since changed the car back to wasted spark. The car starts much faster now than it did.

I'll be hooking up the vanos tomorrow... Does the vanos need a cam sensor for it to actuate? I was looking at the latest vems tables and saw that there is a degree table for cam adjustment. Since the sensor is disconnected how will this change things?

Does anyone use a MISC output with a IGN driver to run the vanos? or should I stick with the camshaft angle control?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 03:58:35 am by DevInAz »

Offline jrussell

• VEMS USA
  • Administrator
  • BHP: 15
    • VEMS USA
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 08:03:31 am »
Unless you've got something more interesting, a M50 VANOS is simple on/off, so a MISC output using an ignition channel is perfect.
VEMS USA - Located in beautiful Burlington, Vermont
1988 RX7 Turbo

Offline Joof

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 08:46:33 pm »
I use a misc output with ign driver to run vanos.

Are you still on firmware 1.2.6?  My car is in pieces right now but I'm hoping the newer (1.2.10?) fixes the slow cam sync as I seem to recall reading something about improvements here on the firmware page.

Just et up your thresholds in the misc out and all is well.

Are you using a different mat sensor than bmw closed element type?  (Just curious)

Are you using stock 3 wire ICV?  When it is quite warm out and A/C is on I have trouble keeping the car from stalling when clutch-in from higher revs;  My IAC settings are obviously the culprit but would love to eliminate the stall.  Are the files in the file center the latest?

Thanks!