Author Topic: Timing light with COP  (Read 7212 times)

Offline antonch

• BHP: 4
Timing light with COP
« on: August 01, 2007, 08:45:57 am »
Initially I am going to wire up the EMS just to make sure the inputs are OK (trigger, IAT, MAP, CLT, etc...). The car comes with a 6 cylinder COP system that I am going to utilize. I am wondering if I can check the trigger settings in VEMs by doing the following:

Point timing light at the crank wheel but check sync with the output on 1st cylinder on VEMs unit. Note that this output will not be connected to anything for now.

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
Re: Timing light with COP
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 11:06:11 am »
If you don't connect the VEMS output to something, then the chances are your timing lamp won't work if it is a hall effect one looking for the field in a HT lead... 

If it'll accept a +12v and a "switch" to ground from the 1st IGBT then it'll all work fine.

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 07:08:56 pm »
Getting the timing right for this is so vital that you really should get yourself a short HT lead with one end suitable to go in the COP, and the other end onto the spark plug.
A grotty crappy old lead is ideal for this as it will leak HT all over the place.

Rob

Offline antonch

• BHP: 4
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 09:53:57 pm »
Connecting an old HT lead that will go into the stock COP will be a challange.

What if I got a big resistor and hooked the output of cylinder 1 ignition out of VEMS to +12V. When VEMS grounds the signal, you will get current through that wire. Most timing lights are inductive type, so maybe that will work?