Technical > Ignition

Cam sync/Secondary trigger [was: confused RE: V8 sequential COP outputs]

<< < (2/6) > >>

[email protected]:
Are you getting an RPM reading when its cranking?

Try disconnecting the second sensor to see if the RPM stops reading.

hilly:
I'll try and get my settings to you tonight as I have left my laptop at home.

I am however running V1.0.53, but I guess that shouldn't be a problem except for the h[2] format.

Hilly

[email protected]:
No the h[2] format is 1.0.73 on, theres a lot of cars running fine on 1.0.53

It should work with dual out and cam sync.

If you are terminal savvy you can see your wheel count with
Manmlp02 and mll a few times, theres some glyphs there which will count up, post what you see and I'll dig out more info.

Part of the reason that theres not much human readable information about the secondary trigger is that aside from the Nissan's I've never needed to use it, I've never had a problem with getting a car to idle and give good results on anything other than wasted spark and sequential injection using only the missing tooth.
The trick to sequential injection is to fire the injector at its cylinder's TDC, without the cam sync you will never know which stroke the cylinder will be on, but at TDC it will be either on its ignition stroke or its exhaust stroke, either of which give you a closed hot valve to inject the fuel onto.

hilly:
OK, here is the spark order I am using on my ABZ

cylinder 1 = EC36 pin 35
cylinder 2 = EC36 pin 10
cylinder 3 = EC36 pin 12
cylinder 4 = EC36 pin 34
cylinder 5 = EC36 pin 33
cylinder 6 = EC36 pin 11
cylinder 7 = EC36 pin 24
cylinder 8 = EC36 pin 36

This gives the required firing order of  1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2

Now this looks completely wrong as it goes h[2]0 - h[2]7 - h[2]6 - h[2]5 - h[2]4 - h[2]3 - h[2]2 - h[2]1 which kinda doesn't make any sense what so ever (it didn't to me when I first started typing it out and I had to scratch my head a bit to figure it out again) until you understand how the cam sync works.

The h[2] numbers are counted backward, ie 76543210, easy so far, what the cam sync input does is as soon as it sees a trigger it resets the h[2] counter back to zero and then continues counting backwards, it is that simple. As the trigger tooth on the ABZ cam sensor is right before cylinder 1 TDC the h[2] counter is at 0 when cylinder 1 needs to fire, hence the odd order.
For any other engine with a sensible cam sync it would be totally different.

It is defo right as it runs perfect on my ABZ.
It took me a ages to get this right as it is so odd-ball, luckily I had the VEMS running on a bench with a crank trigger/cam wheel simulator and oscilloscope (see my blog) to get the order right before trying to get it running on the engine.
If you try to use a sensible h[2] order it won't work.

Hope I have explained this right, if not let me know and I'll have another go.

Hilly

[email protected]:
Nice one.  So it looked like the cam sync was the bad boy there then?

FWIW we have a signal generator program that generates wav files that allow you to test your setup using your PC/Laptop's sound card.  It works well with the VEMS test light (2x8 LEDs) connected to an EC36 connector.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version