Author Topic: SD card not logging even though settings are telling it to log?  (Read 5786 times)

Offline NOTORIOUS VR

• BHP: 5
Wondering what I should check, webstore ordered ECU w/ SD card and there is never anything on the card.. formatted to FAT, SD logging settings are told to log after start up (tried WOT trigger as well) and nothing.

Any ideas?

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
Re: SD card not logging even though settings are telling it to log?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 02:00:44 am »

erase card, start logging, btw, which firmware? seems old fw doensn't works with big sd cards
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 12:40:57 pm by mattias »
Vems installer in Lithuania
[email protected]

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 12:42:59 pm »
It is hit and miss with SD card logging even with new firmware but seems more reliable now  (1.2.2x++).
It's worth point out that "format to FAT" has no relevance here, the only filesystem that works is the simple one you create by erasing the card from within VemsTune.

Offline Kamuto

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 08:24:11 pm »

I have noticed, on one car, which is toyota supra dragster 9.0l v8 we use vems for egt dataloging, if we turn ecu supply on, start  car, run, kill it, no log will be done, if we start it, and only then turn ecu supply on, logging works perfect. it is cranking really slow, so maybe it's the reason..
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 08:58:00 pm by mattias »
[email protected]

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 09:00:43 pm »
It still doesn't work right when you use a "misc output" condition to enable it, say start logging only when rpm reaches 2000 rpm and stop logging only if the condition is false for a long enough period.

It seems to always work if you manually start and stop the log, but that is not what we want.

It does seem to work quite reliably on some cars, but I guess it depends on many factors and not only firmware version and SD card compatibility.

Offline Kamuto

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 10:49:47 pm »

yes tested it on the bench till 5am and didn't get it working with misc output. but that's the only car I had problems, other ones works without any problems :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:23:41 am by mattias »
[email protected]

Offline NOTORIOUS VR

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 06:22:28 am »
Well it seems I was mistaken, I thought I could take the SD card and put it into my laptop to read the log files.   I wasn't aware I had to use VT to do anything useful.

I've "erased" the card via VT and set it for WOT activation and will see what happens tomorrow I guess. 

Hopefully it works on this car as we use Misc 1 output for VVT activation

Thanks again for the info!

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 09:30:51 pm »
Reading on the laptop works, only after the SD card is ready, which probably must be done in the ecu.

When you download a log from serial, it literally takes as long as it took making the log, not efficient at all !

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 10:11:33 pm »
Downloading via serial is really only useful on dragracing cars and similar engines which are only used for short periods of time. It's easy to mark and download the correct last log file, while you're busy doing other routine stuff with the car in the pits.

It can definately be a problem with some serial communication and downloading the logs, some setups can not use the highest communication speed (115200 baud). That prolongs the download time by a lot if you need to lower the speed.

Offline NOTORIOUS VR

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 08:01:25 pm »
Well I finally for the SD card logging to work.  It wasn't software related but to me hardware related.

It took me about 5 tries of taking the SD card out and putting it back in the reader to even be able to "erase" the card via VT. 

Once it successfully erased, I attempted a test log by manually starting and stopping via VT and voila it worked from that point on.

The new expansion can't come soon enough IMO :)

But thanks to all that helped with suggestions!