Author Topic: renault clio sport  (Read 5551 times)

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
renault clio sport
« on: March 05, 2015, 01:45:05 am »
ok, as allways I'm having fun with strange cars, this time renault clio sport turbo, got it started, thought it's 60-2 on flywheel, checked trigger with scope to make sure it's on rising edge, and this is what I got.

some strange trigger 60-1 if we can call it like this
http://x.cloudsdata.net/1f/images/products/large/50af8fe997bd4_VOLANO-MOTORE0573.JPG

the problem is I get pretty hard knock if I'm reving it over 6500 rpm, even 6000 rpm is knocking whatever the timing advance is. + it is knocking even hitting the rev limiter, even at 5000 rpm. I thought it is trigger related or something, tried to cheat, made it 30-1 using auditrigger divider 2, car starts nicely, but it is knocking hard when hitting rev limiter, or reving over 6000 rpm. normal engine work noise and at some certain point it gets knocking hard. so, how I can configure that trigger properly?
Vems installer in Lithuania
[email protected]

Offline MWfire

• BHP: 35
Re: renault clio sport
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 09:12:00 am »

Are you sure that is knock not a mechanical noise?

On that type of trigger is use inverter vr polarization with around 10kohm pull up to 5V.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:42:23 pm by mattias »

Offline Kamuto

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 09:49:00 am »

what do you mean inverter? swapped trigger wires? and configure it like 60-2? with swaped wires it wont start, but maybe resistor would help. yes that's really knock, I'm sitting with headphones listening to the knock, up to the 6000 if you overadvance it, it starts knocking normaly, small pinging or something, but over 6000 or rev limiter it's knocking as hell. that car has stupidly welded exhaust manifold and really small turbo, maybe that is an issue?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:42:11 pm by mattias »
[email protected]

Offline MWfire

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 05:02:23 pm »

what do you mean inverter? swapped trigger wires? and configure it like 60-2? with swaped wires it wont start, but maybe resistor would help. yes that's really knock, I'm sitting with headphones listening to the knock, up to the 6000 if you overadvance it, it starts knocking normaly, small pinging or something, but over 6000 or rev limiter it's knocking as hell. that car has stupidly welded exhaust manifold and really small turbo, maybe that is an issue?

A take a look you scope, your polarity is ok.
I had a engine that sounds like knock, but isn't a knock. On dyno you can test that good. If you remove 10deg and you have larger power drop and you still hear something like knock, that isn't knock.
Only 100% method of knock detection is measure cylinder pressure. Headphones aren't good method. Sometimes engine knocks and you don't hear. And sometime engine doesn't knock and you hear a knock. Much better method is mapping on dyno and look ind. cyl. power.

Offline Kamuto

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 09:30:42 pm »

A take a look you scope, your polarity is ok.
I had a engine that sounds like knock, but isn't a knock. On dyno you can test that good. If you remove 10deg and you have larger power drop and you still hear something like knock, that isn't knock.
Only 100% method of knock detection is measure cylinder pressure. Headphones aren't good method. Sometimes engine knocks and you don't hear. And sometime engine doesn't knock and you hear a knock. Much better method is mapping on dyno and look ind. cyl. power.
what should happen to individual power when it is knocking? do you have a sample of it?
[email protected]

Offline Kamuto

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 09:43:08 pm »
the sound is something like that when subaru lost sync and started working on oposite cylinder, it's impossible to hold throttle hearing that  ;)
[email protected]

Offline MWfire

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 10:21:49 pm »
Here is log from 2.0 16v N/A engine, 15:1 static compression, 60-2 trigger wheel with cam sync ...
So here is log when engine don't knock.
http://i41.tinypic.com/b6sjti.png
So as you can see, ind powers are very similar, so no knocking.
But with more advance, engine start knocks.
http://i44.tinypic.com/jqtbly.png
As you can see at 6000rpm engine starts to knock.