Author Topic: Differential pressure sensor  (Read 3694 times)

Offline CamB

• BHP: 0
Differential pressure sensor
« on: May 12, 2015, 08:20:34 pm »
The description on the webshop's differential pressure sensor has changed in the time since I bought it and now says it's not recommended for fuel pressure.

I was wondering if anyone was aware of a bad experience that lead to this, or alternatively if anyone had been using one as a fuel pressure sensor on a long term basis?

I have an alternative in mind so don't really mind if I can't use it for fuel pressure (there is a Bosch sensor for Ford applications which is intended to mount to the rail and also does temperature, but it's quite expensive - especially including fabrication on the fuel rail, which is not DIY for me). But since the other sensor is expensive I want to make sure I am not putting the VEMS sensor to one side unnecessarily.

And if I need to be cautious, any suggestions on what I should use it for? I already have an oil pressure sensor. Could I measure exhaust pressure (is it sensitive enough?).

Offline jrussell

• VEMS USA
  • Administrator
  • BHP: 15
    • VEMS USA
Re: Differential pressure sensor
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 08:27:01 pm »
There have been some isolated reports of sensor damage from fuel. If you use a filter in-line with the fuel side and mount the sensor well above the fuel source and pointing down, they usually survive quite well. It's not recommended because of this constraint, but is certainly possible.
VEMS USA - Located in beautiful Burlington, Vermont
1988 RX7 Turbo

Offline CamB

• BHP: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 10:29:00 pm »
Ok thanks.

It's a race car and I might be better safe than sorry. I don't want an intake full of fuel at high rpm.

Any reason to think it isn't suitable for exhaust back pressure (on the end of appropriate type and length of tube) or oil pressure on another project? Or maybe coolant system pressure?

Offline jrussell

• VEMS USA
  • Administrator
  • BHP: 15
    • VEMS USA
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 08:37:00 pm »
It's often used for exhaust backpressure.
VEMS USA - Located in beautiful Burlington, Vermont
1988 RX7 Turbo