Author Topic: installing knock on a new existing ecu  (Read 4665 times)

Offline watahyahknow

• BHP: 0
  • absoluut noob in ecu programming
installing knock on a new existing ecu
« on: August 24, 2015, 01:00:49 am »
still gathering parts still getting tools and still working on getting the engine on a testbed

i was a little too late in changing the order and my ecu shipped without the knockchannels

i have tried to find some info about wat to install to get the knockchannels on the board myself but other than the ic on the orderwebsite theres not a lot more written info that is on the most recent boards
wat manuals i did found is likely for the older boards and is missing some of the pictures showing the component locations
the request for info send to hungary hasnt returned an answer after waiting 14 days for it
not in a hurry but do want to put the knock circuit in before installing the ecu in the car

does anyone have a step by step procedure and partslist for the change ?
making a 1978 chevy truck intoo a frankenstein monster
chevy body jaguar motor ford rearaxle porsche brakes petebilt wheels etc , doing the european version of an american hot rod

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
Re: installing knock on a new existing ecu
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 04:43:11 pm »
you will need knock chip and crystal for that, and some jumpers on the board, that's all
Vems installer in Lithuania
[email protected]

Offline watahyahknow

• BHP: 0
  • absoluut noob in ecu programming
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 05:42:46 am »
thats good to know , i havent seen the crystal on the orderlist at the hungarian website so i guess its a generic one ....... found sumtin its a 4MHz crystal
has anyone a picture of the circuitboard with the jumpers highlighted
ah never mind found it :

from wat i understood in the manual the dot on the chip goes to the left bottom nearest c14

still not sure if i need it but its pretty simpel to install it seems , just need to be real careful with heating the crystal for soldering
making a 1978 chevy truck intoo a frankenstein monster
chevy body jaguar motor ford rearaxle porsche brakes petebilt wheels etc , doing the european version of an american hot rod

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
  • BHP: 22
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 03:14:53 pm »
Soldering should be easy, ic dot goes near c14 confirmed; Crystal should be included when ordering the knock chip (make sure to mention it in the order description and mounts to the bottom of PCB), run a wire from topmost PCB pad (leading to c1) to a un utilized ec18 pin and you should be good to go.

Best regards, Dave
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 03:16:28 pm by VEMS »

Offline mc2226

• BHP: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 12:39:30 pm »
hello,

i installed the knock chip and the crystal, i have two knock sensors.. but i have a problem:
when i start the car, the knock values 0-4 always show 760

when i change the realtime data option from ADC/individ.power to individ. knock data, then the knock values shortly show different values (about 1 second) then it changes immediately to 760 again..

someone had this problem before? would be nice to get the knock detection working :)

thanks!

bene

edit: knock detection worked for about 10 seconds.. could change gains etc.. but then again all values at 760..
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 12:53:00 pm by mc2226 »

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
  • BHP: 22
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 11:15:20 am »
Hello Bene,

In cases like this (sometimes working, sometimes not), its usually related to bad soldering contact (or short somewhere) in the changes you made to board, i would suggest inspecting it carefully.

Best regard, Dave

Offline mc2226

• BHP: 1
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 08:10:12 pm »
i could punch myself in the face.. works now perfectly!

thank you!

bene