Author Topic: Custom LCD display  (Read 8086 times)

Offline jm motorsport

• BHP: 0
Custom LCD display
« on: September 21, 2015, 09:06:50 pm »
Im trying to replicate the functionality of the Bosch Motorsport DCU (display control unit) for my race car. Been looking at different options for quite sometime now.

I need sensor data from the following inputs. Inputs marked with OK are as i understand no problem to get from VEMS. The other 5 might be harder? I know that pressure sensors could be tricky, or at least use to be.

Water temperature (OK)
Voltage (OK)
RPM (OK)
TPS (OK)
Exhaust temp (OK)
MAT (OK)
Lambda (OK)

Diff temp
Gearbox temp
Fuel pressure
Oil temp
Oil pressure

I need to display the sensor data on two different 8x1 LCD displays. For the first LCD water temp. and oil press would be permanently displayed. The second LCD would then display the other inputs, one at a time. But sensor input can be changed with a 10 pos. rotary switch.

My first idea was to have one Arduino to control the two displays and to read the data from the VEMS ECU. The AIM protocol does not seem to support all inputs however.

Any ideas or pointers in the right direction

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
Re: Custom LCD display
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 02:00:16 am »
use android tablet over bluetooth, it will make dataloging + gps speed for you :)
Vems installer in Lithuania
[email protected]

Offline jm motorsport

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 09:30:44 pm »
Yes that would of course be the easiest.

But need replicate the exact functionality of the Bosch DCU unit, so a Tablet is not a option. I need to have the sensor data displayed on two seperate 8x1 LCDs.

Has anyone perhaps managed to send data from VEMS over the AIM protocol and receive it to for example an Arduino. I have not yet hooked up the VEMS ECU but i did some tests today sending data from the terminal to an aurdino over the RS232 serial port, work fine both ways (RX/TX). So the next step would be hooking up the VEMS to the Ardunio (im using a Max232 IC to convert the signal). 

If anyone should have an source code for a similar project it would be awesome if you could share.

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 07:48:13 am »
what conversion are you doing in the Arduino if I may ask?

Offline jm motorsport

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 10:41:54 am »
I can't directly hook up the TX and RX pins to the VEMS due to the voltage difference between RS232 and the Arduino. So i need aMAX232 IC for level shifting.

Offline jm motorsport

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 07:42:50 pm »
Did some test today trying to read the AIM datastream from the VEMS ECU.

I made a simple program to read the the datastream from a RS232 device and display the data stream in terminal.
small update

I connected the RS232 port on the Arduino to a true serial port on an old PC i found, and connected the USB on the Arduino to a Macbook.

In Real Terminal on the PC i tried to send some hex data and it displayed properly on the Macbooks Terminal. So all good.

I then enabled AIM output in VEMS, i hooked up the VEMS ECU with the DB9 connector and a USB to serial adapter to one of my Macbook. I opened up the terminal window in CoolTerm and connected to the device. I immediately received HEX data from the VEMS ECU to the terminal so all good.

But when tried to connect the VEMS ECU to the RS232 on my Arduino, it does not receive any data all. And does not seem to be connected since the RX LED does not light up

Hopefully i can make some progress tomorrow

Offline jm motorsport

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 11:43:19 am »
RX/TX mismatch, all working good now and i ca receive the Data through the Arduino now.

Offline wersch

• BHP: 1
  • ECU installer in Sweden
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 08:32:03 pm »
Cool project! I have also had a thought on sending data to my arduino from vems.
Got any example code for the AIM reading?

Offline sakdemir

• New Users
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 08:50:48 pm »
Cool project! I have also had a thought on sending data to my arduino from vems.
Got any example code for the AIM reading?

What did you do to communicate with Arduino? I wanted to ask if there was progress. I have such a plan, but I don't know what to do.

Thank you in advance.