Author Topic: New Round user, does this look right?  (Read 8091 times)

Offline lemmingzappa

• BHP: 0
New Round user, does this look right?
« on: July 20, 2015, 08:49:38 pm »
This is the first time I have used my VEMS Round which I purchased from a friend, who bought it a long time ago. I believe the serial number for this one is around 408.

I have just upgraded the firmware to version 1.5.10 after running through the revival tool in the latest VemsTune.

I am currently running the Round via a 12v Gel battery temporarily, for firmware upgrade and testing purposes.

The lambda sensor heats up fine, but these are the AFR results I am getting when holding the sensor in open air (EGT not connected):

Here you can see a video of what happens when I breathe on the sensor, I expected the AFR ratio to be different, maybe I'm wrong!

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v236/lemmingzappa/Video%2020-07-2015%2020%2016%2038_zpsbll3v0j8.mp4

Also when I press the button on the Round, I was expecting it to switch between AFR & Lambda. Instead it just shows this and gets stuck on there until I power off/on:

Here are the wideband settings (I have not changed any of these):

Offline lemmingzappa

Re: New Round user, does this look right?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 10:44:08 pm »
Just had a thought, is this because the sensor isn't earthed when I hold it in the air?

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
  • BHP: 22
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 09:09:59 am »
Hello Lemmingzappa,

If using 1.5.10 firmware make sure you followed the notes on: http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=AfreshTiny, you need to run the a dev version of VT for correct operation and setup.
For round v1 however there is no benefit in using 1.5.10 as the roundv1 firmware does not have changes, i would recommend downgrading to 1.5.8 firmware which does not need any special VT version.

Before downgrade of firmware make sure you have updated your VT installation with the latest ini files, make sure you have inet connection and run VT->Preferences->Update ini files from web.
Restart VT, connect to your device and downgrade firmware to 1.5.8

After that lets rule out a configuration issue by uploading a default round config to your device:

1) after downgrade to 1.5.8; in VT with your round powered and connected, go to file-> open config
2) choose defaultfirmwareconfigs/round_1.5.7.vemscfg
3) upload to your round.

Power cycle your round and please report if the device properly responds to button press. If not make a small vemslog of a few button press attempts and upload this vemslog as a sharing report to the vems sharing center (help -> vems sharing center) and place a link in this thread, i will review.

Best regards, Dave

Offline lemmingzappa

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 09:18:16 am »
Thanks Dave, very helpful. I will try this today!

Do I need to earth the sensor itself to anything or is it OK to hold it in free air by hand?

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 09:54:06 am »
Do I need to earth the sensor itself to anything or is it OK to hold it in free air by hand?
No, the sensor body is isolated from the measuring part; No need (or benefit) to ground it.

Best regards, Dave

Offline lemmingzappa

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 01:39:18 pm »
I followed your instructions exactly and I seem to be getting correct AFR readings now!

Free Air = 50+
Held in the end of exhaust tail pipe = 14-15

The button press didn't do anything this time but I suspect I need to slightly modify the gauge settings to get this working. Will have another go tonight and let you know.

Great support Dave!

Offline lemmingzappa

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 10:00:04 pm »
Hi Dave, I am still having trouble with the button not working. I have uploaded a log for you after pressing the button a few times. After I uploaded to the sharing center I noticed that it says 'vemslog not included', so I have attached the log in CSV format for you manually.

All I need and have configured is:

Slot 0:
Top - AFR (actual)
Bottom - EGT (actual)

Slot 1:
Top - AFR (peak)
Bottom - EGT (peak)

Thanks!

http://vems.hu/vemstune/sharingcenter/reports.php?cmd=view&key=zFLXoG
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 10:05:14 pm by lemmingzappa »

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 09:33:36 am »
Hello Lemmingzappa,

Reviewed your config and found your button problem, your button threshold is set to 3, apply the default setting of 160 in VT->Analog->Analog Input settings->Button threshold = 160.

Setting up the pages is something you should be easily able to manage, use the VT->Display->Main display settings dialog (more elaboration in help: http://vems.hu/vt/help/round/round_main_display_settings.html)

For configuring the peak value enable, go to Display->Peak hold settings (more help: http://vems.hu/vt/help/round/round_display_peak_hold_settings.html, pressing F1 in VT brings it up also)

Best regards, Dave

Offline lemmingzappa

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 08:33:41 pm »
Reviewed your config and found your button problem, your button threshold is set to 3, apply the default setting of 160 in VT->Analog->Analog Input settings->Button threshold = 160.

Perfect, thanks!

Offline lemmingzappa

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 08:53:09 pm »
One last thing, in free air the gauge is showing 58.7 constantly. If I breathe on the sensor it drops to around 42. Last time I held it over the end of the exhaust on a running car it was between 14 & 15.

Does 58.7 seem very high to you in free air? Most people on this forum have mentioned around 19-20.

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 08:58:08 am »
Hello Lemmingzappa

Does 58.7 seem very high to you in free air? Most people on this forum have mentioned around 19-20.
When using AFR the gauge does not display o2% as it would when using lambda (easy to differentiate between 1.xx and 20.9, in AFR mode hard to differentiate 14.7 (as afr) and 20.9 (as o2%) )

Best regards, Dave

Offline fphil

• BHP: 6
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 06:22:47 pm »
The response time of LSU4.9 seems to be much faster than the LSU4.2, 200-300ms w/r 500-600ms (same control parameters). Is that true?