Author Topic: Toyota VVT solenoid (Oil Control Valve)  (Read 35004 times)

Offline Wolf_Tm

• BHP: 0
Toyota VVT solenoid (Oil Control Valve)
« on: November 11, 2015, 09:09:11 am »
Hi,
any idea how to connect and drive Toyota VVT/OCV solenoid valves?
On the Toyota electric wiring map, this solenoid valve has 2 pins (OCV+ and OCV-) and both are connected DIRECTLY to the oem ecu.
Thanks
Wolf

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
  • BHP: 22
Re: Toyota VVT solenoid (Oil Control Valve)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 10:14:10 am »
Hello Wolf_TM,

Do you have a bit more info about these solenoids, perhaps oem schematic link or engine code so i review against known configuration ?

Best regards, Dave

Offline Wolf_Tm

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 09:45:27 pm »
Hello Wolf_TM,

Do you have a bit more info about these solenoids, perhaps oem schematic link or engine code so i review against known configuration ?

Best regards, Dave

Hi Dave,
I do have the oem wiring diagrams, but there is nothing more than both the 2 wires from the solenoid going to the ecu!

Engine code is 3SGE BEAMS, but almost the same solenoid is also used in other Toyota applications like the 1ZZ-FE engine.
Is there any test I could do on the solenoid to help you help me?
Thanks

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 11:06:39 pm »
use + from ignition
Vems installer in Lithuania
[email protected]

Offline Wolf_Tm

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 01:36:55 pm »
use + from ignition

Ok, thanks Kamuto.
Any special setting in Vems tune to drive them?

Offline Kamuto

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 10:41:48 pm »
you will need diode on this output + select frequency when they works best
[email protected]

Offline Wolf_Tm

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 06:39:09 pm »
you will need diode on this output + select frequency when they works best

So you mean OCV+ to a switched 12v and OCV- to diode to a 12V drive ignition output, for example?
What kind of diode?
Thanks

Offline Denmark

• BHP: 7
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 06:56:02 pm »
The diode is in the rescue kit
working on the boxer

Offline Wolf_Tm

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 07:12:24 pm »
The diode is in the rescue kit

Ok, must ask the customer to look for it... thanks!

Offline Wolf_Tm

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 02:45:39 pm »
Hi,
few questions about how VEMS controls the VVT solenoid.

1. is there a function to disable VVT solenoid when engine is warming? At cold oil (higher viscosity) idling is difficult because of the valve timing continuosly changing, as it would need a setup totally different from hot oil.

2. question about VEMS PID.
I noticed that I can't get all the solenoid DC, needed to get to the target VVT angle, just by using the Proportional gain, but it only arrives up to 25% DC.
And to get up to the rest of the needed DC (around 50%) I absolutely need to add some Integral.
It's a very strange PID behaviour, compared to others ecus.

3. is it ok to have the sectrig position +/-1.5° from the camshaft target value? Wasn't able to do any better..

Offline Kamuto

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 11:52:10 pm »
Hi,

1. is there a function to disable VVT solenoid when engine is warming? At cold oil (higher viscosity) idling is difficult because of the valve timing continuosly changing, as it would need a setup totally different from hot oil.

I noticed that I can't get all the solenoid DC, needed to get to the target VVT angle, just by using the Proportional gain, but it only arrives up to 25% DC.
And to get up to the rest of the needed DC (around 50%) I absolutely need to add some Integral.

3. is it ok to have the sectrig position +/-1.5° from the camshaft target value? Wasn't able to do any better..
upload log
[email protected]

Offline Wolf_Tm

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 04:28:47 pm »
Hi,

upload log

Hi,
issue #1 solved by lowering target angle.

But now i'm fighting again a worse issue.
VVT solenoid starts to change camshaft timing when around a minimum of 40%, that is to say no angle change from 0 to 40% DC.
Problem is that it gets a pair of seconds to get from 0 to 40%, even with maximum Proportional gain, so it's like VVT disabled in shorter gears.
Would be very handy to have a minimum/maximum allowable DC even for VVT solenoid, so that PID could start working from 40% DC (in my case), or even a Normal Position DC table to help PID to get faster to the target.
Camshaft Angle control/Reference position is already at 50%, but changing it was of no help (changed nothing).
Is there any other way to solve that?

Thanks

Offline Kamuto

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 08:43:34 pm »
Hi,

upload log

Hi,
issue #1 solved by lowering target angle.

But now i'm fighting again a worse issue.
VVT solenoid starts to change camshaft timing when around a minimum of 40%, that is to say no angle change from 0 to 40% DC.
Problem is that it gets a pair of seconds to get from 0 to 40%, even with maximum Proportional gain, so it's like VVT disabled in shorter gears.
Would be very handy to have a minimum/maximum allowable DC even for VVT solenoid, so that PID could start working from 40% DC (in my case), or even a Normal Position DC table to help PID to get faster to the target.
Camshaft Angle control/Reference position is already at 50%, but changing it was of no help (changed nothing).

Thanks
for idling leave solenoid in resting position :) never had issue like yours, especialy with toyotas, + 1.2.36 software has better cam control :) even perfect controll
[email protected]

Offline Wolf_Tm

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 10:05:33 pm »

Thanks
for idling leave solenoid in resting position :) never had issue like yours, especialy with toyotas, + 1.2.36 software has better cam control :) even perfect controll

1.2.31 is the latest fw web tool finds... where can Iind the 1.2.36?!

Offline Kamuto

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 06:50:08 pm »
[email protected]