Author Topic: Question....  (Read 6511 times)

Offline 500

• BHP: 1
Question....
« on: October 12, 2007, 11:09:48 pm »
Has anyone fitted a VEMS to a Rover/Lotus VVC engine yet?

I've just picked up another Metro GTI and am playing with the idea of putting the K-series 1.8 VVC in it. 8)

Thinking that 160Bhp std and 800Kg will be a little fun car, but would live to get a bit more out of it  ;D

Adam

Offline [email protected]

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: Question....
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 11:25:38 pm »
K-Series uses 60-2 IIRC, which is tried and tested, if VVC is an on/off solenoid then you're laughing ;D
More power... Theres something neat about the new Mini supercharger on the Metro, forced induction makes the best power

Offline 500

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 07:36:53 am »
Found this on another forum

he VVC is operated by a piston that is moved by oil flow controlled by 2 solenoids, this is then backed up by a cam phase sensor so the ECU can then tell what position the piston is in and an oil temperature sensor so it can vary the amount of oil based on how thin it is.

It is truely variable as the ECU can choose any cam dration at any rev not like the honda that can only pick between 2 cam durations, although you could simply do this by having your ECU pump the piston all the way at one rev and then back the other way as it comes back down the revs do it would operte like the honda.

I have seen VVC engines run without the VVC setup, more often this is done by locking the piston in place at about half way, the VVC mechs will be fine with this. (half way is where the eccentric disks are about central so they are pretty much doing nothing, at the low revs the adjust the open period shorter and at high rev longer, in the midddle you are pretty much just getting the cam spinning the same speed all the way round.)

so I guess it's possible to have it like the honda if not the way rover intended

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 08:39:09 am »
Two solenoids ???   It would be handy to see a scope trace of the solenoids in action, as it might be possible to rig VEMS up to simulate the  thing.  With the 1.1.27 firmware there's a boost control method that is effectively a PWM duration map across MAP and RPM - which would potentially usable for this.  But then you'd not have turbo control. :-\

Offline 500

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 10:51:11 am »
I'll see what I can find.

I'm not too bothered about a turbo on it, if anything it will be a supercharger if I go that far

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 09:49:21 am »
Yep, I reckon one of those Mini Cooper ebay specials would do the trick ;D

Offline 500

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 08:49:19 am »
Right, motor is installed and running, now I need someone who can do a scope trace on it in the north west, any ideas?  ;D

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 02:19:48 pm »
If you're planning on messing around with cars you could do a lot worse than buy something off this page:
http://www.easysync.co.uk/index.html?lang=en-uk&target=d16.html

Rob

Offline jeanno

• BHP: 0
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 11:21:02 am »
UP  ;D

I am more than happy with the VEMS on my peugeot engine TU5J2.
I am now planning to install one on a Rover K serie (1800VVC).
I saw latest firmware is able to handle this engine with camsync now. What about VVC mechanism control ? I have to decide if I go the VVC route or if I remove this sophisticated system. (It is for a road car so VVC is a nice feature to have).
Project : Peugeot 106 Xsi 1992
Member page : http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=MembersPage%2FJeanno
Engine is a tuned 1.6 litre 4 cyl / 8 valves (TU5J2) with 220 cc/min injectors fired individually+ wasted spark

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
  • BHP: 22
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 11:55:37 am »
Hello Jeanno,

If the engine has VVC i see no reason why to remove it, keep it!; Its control is supported.

Best regards, Dave

Offline jeanno

• BHP: 0
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 06:14:21 pm »
Thank you for the clear answer Dave.
In fact my engine currently has no VVC but I get a VVC head and I was thinking about bolting it to my engine. I am pretty sure now that I will go this way.
I may have some questions about setting this in the coming months.
Project : Peugeot 106 Xsi 1992
Member page : http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=MembersPage%2FJeanno
Engine is a tuned 1.6 litre 4 cyl / 8 valves (TU5J2) with 220 cc/min injectors fired individually+ wasted spark