Author Topic: VEMS v3 road map  (Read 13362 times)

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
VEMS v3 road map
« on: September 18, 2016, 09:33:55 pm »
Dave can you explain the current VEMS V3.x roadmap as set out by VEMS??

What features are being developed, their expected delivery dates, hardware developments?

1.2.30 was released in december 2014. The last two years have been rather slow in terms of firmware output from VEMS vs the years before it.
Can you give any feedback as to what VEMS plans on doing with the V3 before a V4 is neccassary in terms of hardware capabilities to compete in the market place? Alot of the competition has brought out better and more capable hardware in the last couple of years and it seems V3 is slowing down its development which ultimately means it´ll just become outdated.

Offline NOTORIOUS VR

• BHP: 5
Re: VEMS v3 road map
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 08:58:52 pm »
I really think that a V4 needs to come sooner than later.

Also all this crazy add-on and custom firmware for one off projects S65, etc on a V3 platform are just taking up too much time of the developers when they should be focusing on a new platform (V4, etc).

The basics of the V3 are very solid, and I love this ECU very much.  But it really is going to be a necessary evil to halt/slow dev. on the V3 box to finally make a push to more current and capable hardware (and obviously more feature rich firmware) to compete with the ECU's of today but keeping that VEMS flair.

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 11:11:31 pm »
I really think that a V4 needs to come sooner than later.

Also all this crazy add-on and custom firmware for one off projects S65, etc on a V3 platform are just taking up too much time of the developers when they should be focusing on a new platform (V4, etc).

The basics of the V3 are very solid, and I love this ECU very much.  But it really is going to be a necessary evil to halt/slow dev. on the V3 box to finally make a push to more current and capable hardware (and obviously more feature rich firmware) to compete with the ECU's of today but keeping that VEMS flair.
i believe it will come ;) they are learning, working, making stuff ;) fixing bugs and so on, one day it will come time for v4 :D hope it happens faster :D
Vems installer in Lithuania
[email protected]

Offline Mads Lund

• BHP: 4
    • VEMS member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 08:32:59 pm »
Hopefully will V4 be a scaleable layout, so it's possible to double both input's and outputs, and add a quad core cpu, where one core is avaliable for running user code. that will make it Versatile again :-)

Offline NOTORIOUS VR

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 04:34:58 pm »
and in the mean time... MS3 Pro Ultimate is out now...

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/ms3pro-ultimate-standalone-engine-management-system/

VEMS is still patching V3 boards to add marginal and specific functionality for personal projects.

Offline Kamuto

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 08:48:59 pm »

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/ms3pro-ultimate-standalone-engine-management-system/

VEMS is still patching V3 boards to add marginal and specific functionality for personal projects.
and you are wrong :)
[email protected]

Offline fphil

• BHP: 6
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 10:37:24 am »

Could you elaborate in some way ?

Offline Mads Lund

• BHP: 4
    • VEMS member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 12:06:01 pm »
I'm sorry to tell, that I just bought a MS3pro board, and have designed a base board, that will include the missing elements compared to VEMS. So I'm trying to make the best from both worlds. The power and scalability from MS3pro, and a "full" box like VEMS with dual lambda controllers and ignition drivers. I'll post the result when done

Offline NOTORIOUS VR

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 01:46:08 pm »

What am I wrong about exactly?

If they're working on something new, it would be nice if they gave their dealers a heads up.

Offline gunni

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 11:06:06 pm »

That is nearing prices I would start considering other systems than Megasquirt for projects.

Also there have only been 4 firmware updates this year since february, it hasnt been the same progress as in the past years.
1 x internal version
1 x experimental
1 x for testing and capturing vemslogs with expert supervision
1 x only for testing fw and new VT ini with expert supervision

I understand that implementing the S65 CAN was difficult, but I think we can all agree that the 36+18 connector and flying lead combination is outdated for what the V3 can do. A pin should only do one thing unless its software or internal toggle switch changeable(ECU versions need to be more standardized), it shouldn´t have multiple functions based on what you order.

I think the best course of action is to ditch the current setup and just use the "M50" PnP connector as the standard. 88pins where each function can be assigned an appropriate pin that is always said pin. No flying leads either. That way every possible feature of the V3 can be made available as standard. Better yet is something like the BMW M54 ECU connector which has 134pins, that could allow upgrading from V3_10 to eventual V4 as the pinout could be the same.

Right not the V in VEMS isn´t exactly versatile when you need to open the ECU to do soldering modifications.

Offline Sprocket

• BHP: 29
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 12:24:18 am »
A red EC36 connector with a different 'key' is available. I modified a V3.3 with one replacing the EC18 and wired the the other 18 pins internally.

Offline gunni

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 11:16:09 am »
That would already help alot I think

Offline Kamuto

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 11:28:24 am »
A red EC36 connector with a different 'key' is available. I modified a V3.3 with one replacing the EC18 and wired the the other 18 pins internally.
maybe you have part number?
[email protected]

Offline NOTORIOUS VR

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 02:09:25 pm »
That is nearing prices I would start considering other systems than Megasquirt for projects.

I agree, but the purpose of that was to show that MS is pushing forward with current technologies and we're here spinning our wheels.

CAN is fundamental, can't use CAN for dashboards, can't use CAN for vehicle communications, can't use CAN for expansion, still no traction control, still no rolling anti-lag, still not fail safes, still no Flex-fuel.  The list goes on and on and that's just software, as you said the hardware is a completely different monster to tackle.

I mean, look at the trend.  People but aftermarket ECU's for features and ease of install.  I'm not saying MS is perfect, but at least they're moving towards the future and while the prices are increasing, people pay because they like the platform.  VEMS can do the same, they will continue have a loyal following if they have an ECU that is up to date.  V3.x is no where near up to date anymore, and it's like that because someone decided to take months to made an S65 CAN bus project, for what?  For one car? 

As much as I want VEMS to get up to date, it cannot happen on the current platform.  VEMS 4 or 5 or VEMS Pro or something needs to be well into the works I hope.

Offline Kamuto

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 02:20:18 pm »
That is nearing prices I would start considering other systems than Megasquirt for projects.

I agree, but the purpose of that was to show that MS is pushing forward with current technologies and we're here spinning our wheels.

CAN is fundamental, can't use CAN for dashboards, can't use CAN for vehicle communications, can't use CAN for expansion, still no traction control, still no rolling anti-lag, still not fail safes, still no Flex-fuel.  The list goes on and on and that's just software, as you said the hardware is a completely different monster to tackle.

I mean, look at the trend.  People but aftermarket ECU's for features and ease of install.  I'm not saying MS is perfect, but at least they're moving towards the future and while the prices are increasing, people pay because they like the platform.  VEMS can do the same, they will continue have a loyal following if they have an ECU that is up to date.  V3.x is no where near up to date anymore, and it's like that because someone decided to take months to made an S65 CAN bus project, for what?  For one car? 

As much as I want VEMS to get up to date, it cannot happen on the current platform.  VEMS 4 or 5 or VEMS Pro or something needs to be well into the works I hope.
hehe, sometimes you people are really annoying :) can bus wasn't a problem as I understand, quad vanos was ;)  yeah, cant use can... :D what if it gives you can bus but you need to get can ID's by yourself? :) still will be crying because there is no menu with selection :) no failsafes? hmn, seems I'm only one using it for about 2 years... what failsafes you need? :) fuel pressure cut depending on map,  engine speed limiter depending on oil pressure?? water temp based rev limit? :)) it has everything, not the nicest implementation but it has these things :) I understand why vems it not revealing anything.. it's because everyone will be annoying them with bunch of requests which are needed only for them :)
[email protected]